Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP omen 17 w202no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I play some games my laptop gets really hot (around 90c) And that is not good for my pc and I want my laptop to get cooler. I've tried the notebookfan and I've tried Argus monitor and I've tried some others but I just can't change the fan speed and I mean its MY pc and I should be able to do whatever I want with it. I don't have omen command center since my laptop doesn't support it and I just want someone to try and help me get my fan speed at 100% all the time and yes I know it reduces the lifetime of the fan but I will change it to automatic when I'm not playing these games. And I have the latest bios and all that and I've cleaned my laptop

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello @WilliamTG 

There is no fan speed control on that older model Omen. No matter what bios you have. Sorry. 

Do make sure your vents are not blocked with dust build up. Blow some air into them. If they are really clogged, you will have to take the case apart and open the fan shrouds to deep clean.

Beyond clogged vents, If you are getting hot temps in the 90's, about all you can do is either lower the games settings (what HP recommends) or under-volt the CPU to disable Turbo Boost.

To do this... change the Max processor state in the Power Options Advanced settings from 100% to between 94-99% depending. Every systems sweet spot can be different.

max processor state.JPG

Or some users like to use a tool like Throttle Stop to under-volt. Use it at your own discretion as I don't do support for other software like that. Under-volting the cpu will not harm it.

Did you find answers to your other thread you created a while back? Let me know if I can help.

HP Recommended

I've been playing red dead redemption 2 for some time now and I have really low graphics on but it's still throttling and I've even under voltage my CPU. But I just don't get it why don't the fans run at 100%  when I'm playing like they do when I update bios and such. It's just stupid that the fan isn't running at its highest speed when the CPU is literally around 90c. I mean its an gaming computer and it does handle the game but the fans doesn't run at its fastest when it definitely needs to

HP Recommended

And fans are made for running so if hp made the fan be able to go faster why doesn't it when it actually needs to. it's just stupid... Buying a gaming laptop for much money to be able to play games and it won't even use its fans...

HP Recommended

And i tried doing what you told me but there is two for me Battery something and Netconnected and ive already done it in the XTU

HP Recommended

there are two fans. The CPU fan will run faster than the other fan. When you say its not running fast enough, I would have no way of knowing how fast its running. Fan Speed is OK for checking the fans but it isnt entirely accurate on an HP.

If the CPU fan is running slow, it might be the fan itself is faulty perhaps, or its full of dust. Hard for me to say as Im not there to see it.

HP Recommended

I did change one of the fans some months ago and I've vacuumed the pc from the outside because we have tried opening it but it didn't work and yeah like I can hear on the fans that none of them is running at 90 or 100 I guess maybe at 65% or something because it shouldn't get this hot when I'm gaming with low/medium graphics. But if you know a video on how to open an Omen hp 17 w202no then please show me so we can try and check if it got dust in it

HP Recommended

If you want to open it up, you need a #1 Philips head screw driver and a spugder or credit card to carefully pry the seal apart. The edges of the seam and held with little plastic clips, so be easy on it so you don't break them.

Here is a video showing how to open it so the guy can replace his battery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD64xl0mowM

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.