Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 17-an0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello! I am trying to play Red Dead Redemption 2 and have been encountering trouble running the game at the speed I want. I know full well this laptop was born in 2017, and the CPU is a giant obstacle for me, but I cannot upgrade my CPU to my knowledge. I wish to replace my current RAM with the best possible 32 GB RAM I can. However, I am having trouble discerning what model of 32 GB SODIMM RAM to buy. As I have mentioned, I want the best possible upgrade for my RAM here, as Red Dead Redemption 2 calls for demanding memory performance.

My gaming notebook is a OMEN by HP 17-an0xx, Product Number 1KV90UA#ABA

My current RAM shows up in CPU-Z as this:
DDR4 12 GB Dual Channel (DRAM Frequency: 1197.4 MHz) (NB Frequency: 3491.5MHz)

My HP Support Assistant identifies my RAM as such,
System memory: 12 GB
Memory slot 1: 4GB Samsung 2400MHz
Memory slot 2: 8GB Samsung 2400MHz

Here are the rest of my specs from HP Support Assistant,

Spoiler

Operating system : Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Microprocessor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz

System board: 8394 40.28

System BIOS: F.19

Graphic device 1: Radeon RX 580 Series

Current resolution: 1920 x 1080

Refresh rate: 60 Hz

Version: 27.20.1017.1011 (5/25/2020)
Aero status: Enabled

Audio Device 1: AMD High Definition Audio Device

Driver: AtihdWT6.sys

Version: 10.0.1.12

Audio Device 2: Realtek High Definition Audio

Driver: RTKVHD64.sys

Version: 6.0.8940.1

What is the best possible RAM upgrade for me here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your notebook supports 2 x 16 GB of memory for a total of 32 GB.

Below is the link to the Crucial memory report for your notebook.

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hP---Compaq/hp-omen-17-an012dx

Since they guarantee compatibility, you may want to buy a 32 GB kit from them.

Either the 2666 MHz or 2400 MHz will work, but the 2600 MHz will 'downclock' or 'bridge' to 2400 MHz.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your notebook supports 2 x 16 GB of memory for a total of 32 GB.

Below is the link to the Crucial memory report for your notebook.

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hP---Compaq/hp-omen-17-an012dx

Since they guarantee compatibility, you may want to buy a 32 GB kit from them.

Either the 2666 MHz or 2400 MHz will work, but the 2600 MHz will 'downclock' or 'bridge' to 2400 MHz.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your time! I actually have used Crucial's website before to upgrade my Hard Drive to a Solid State Drive. However, at the time I ordered from the crucial page for OMEN by HP 17-an0xx series, as I did not know my product was specifically HP OMEN 17-an012dx. It still works beautifully, even though my Windows System Information tool thinks it's a disk drive.  But enough about that.
I will order the 32 GB kit from here! I have one last optional question for you, as I believe everything you said.
The question is this: For my best possible purchase I should believe that my gaming notebook's RAM speed will never go above 2400 MHz, and should invest in a 2400 MHz 32 GB kit, correct?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That is correct.

The only reason you would want to consider buying the 2666 MHz memory would only be if you planned to install it in a newer model notebook that can actually run the memory at 2666 MHz.

Otherwise you will be fine with the 2400 memory as that is the fastest speed the processor your notebook has can run the memory at.

Most 7th gen processors only run the memory at 2133 MHz, but yours runs it at 2400.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/97185/intel-core-i7-7700hq-processor-6m-cache-u...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.