Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
hp omen 17 w201tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

For some reason, my computer shut down randomly. Also when it shut downs, the power button on the top left still shows a white light there which means that it's not really shut down. If I click anything on the keyboard or trackpad, nothing happens so I have to hold onto the power button to close it and then turn it on again. Help. 

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@GeneBean1 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the computer shuts down randomly.

Do not worry. I will try to fix the issue.

I suggest you download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

1. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

1. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  2. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  3. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Also, ensure Windows is up to date

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Hello, I did download the HP Support Assistant and download all the updates. After a month a so, it stills randomly shutdown with the white light at the power button with the fan still running. What should I do? Help. 

HP Recommended

@GeneBean1 Does the laptop turn off suddenly with its lights off as well? or do the lights remain on and only the screen blacks out?

Also, do you know if any updates were recently installed or interrupted during an update?

Meanwhile, here's what you need to do:

If Windows suddenly shuts down without warning, it might be caused by one of several issues.
A BIOS update can also resolve the issue: click here for steps.

Follow the steps in this section, in order, to run a hardware test to identify any issues with the device:

Install the latest version of the HP Hardware diagnostics (UEFI) on your device using this link: Click here for details

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  • On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
  • Click Extensive Test.
  • Click Run once, or Loop until error.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The light remains on and only the screen black out. I haven't tried to see how long it last because I restart the laptop after it happens. Also currently there is no BIOS updates to be download. 

HP Recommended

@GeneBean1 Does that mean, when you tap on F2, it doesn't take you to the hardware diagnostics screen? If you mean the device screen remains black at all times, perhaps, you can connect an external monitor to the device and check if that's working fine.

Keep me posted.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So I did the hardware diagnostic, everything is fine (passed) except the Battery which is okay. Interesting fact is that when the laptop randomly shutdown this time. I waited for a bit longer and the power button finally when dark instead of having the light in it. Also when I turn it back on, the laptop loads back a video game I was playing earlier but the game disconnected me because I had no internet connection. Help. 

HP Recommended

@GeneBean1 In that case, the device may not be shutting down instead its going into hibernation or there's an issue with the fast startup, here's what I suggest you do:

• disable hibernate file.
    • Run CMD as Administrator, and type the following:
    • powercfg hibernate off

Once done, disable the fast startup:

1. Open “Control Panel” and click “Power Option”, and follow below picture.
  2. Click “Choose what the power buttons do”
  3. Click “Change settings that are currently unavailable”
  4. Disable “Turn on fast startup

Let me know how that pans out,

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

When I did the 'Run Command Prompt' and type 'powercfg hibernate off' I got the 'Unable to perform operation . An unexpected error (0x65b) has occurred: Function failed during execution.' Please help! 

HP Recommended

@GeneBean1 That error occurs when the command prompt if run in normal mode, you may want to select command prompt and run as administrator, simply open the windows search and type CMD, then select "run as administrator" from the properties tab as shown in the below image, then try this on the command prompt - "powercfg.exe /hibernate off".

When done, if the issue persists, turn off fast startup and get back to me with the results,

Good luck!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.