Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Hp Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Question i have a intel core i5 8300H cpu (2.30) Could i upgrade to a i5 9th gen unlocked without changing my board or would i have to buy a new board+ more parts

Fatal_Ttian
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That model does not have a removable cpu as with most HP consumer laptops. You would have to buy a new computer.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @Fatal_Titan 

First thing is to always include what the full model or product number is, so we know exactly what you have.

Its located in the HP Support Assistant.

Most likely, No. Your laptop will be limited by the bios and will not accept a 9th gen cpu, unless that model had a bios update that specifically enabled it. Laptops aren't like a custom built desktop you see on YouTube. You cannot simply buy another motherboard and upgrade them.

If its a 9th gen you want, you would have to buy a new laptop.  Personally, one step up really isnt worth the money to upgrade in my opinion. But If upgrading ability is what you're really interested in for future systems, I would consider going with a custom (or DIY) desktop.

HP Recommended

HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15-cx0xxx is my computers product name and serial number [edited]

Fatal_Ttian
HP Recommended

That model does not have a removable cpu as with most HP consumer laptops. You would have to buy a new computer.

HP Recommended

thank you for the help 🙂

Fatal_Ttian
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.