Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Laptop 15-ce0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My display adaptor is failing. For some reason, I restarted my laptop and I could not use the brightness buttons or connect my laptop to my tv through the HDMI port. I investigated and found out that it is related to the display adapter, which is currently "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter (No ACPI Support)". before I restarted my computer this was not the one installed. I went to the HP support for software and drivers and I can see 4 graphic drivers that I can install. these are "DisplayLink Graphic Driver", "AMD High-Definition Graphics Driver (Windows 10 v1709)", "Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver (Windows 10 v1709)" and "NVIDIA Graphics Driver (Windows 10 v1709)". My question is, which one of these am I supposed to download in order to install them? Or am I wrong and have to install another one? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey gang, just so you both know with that model Omen (specs), it does not have the Intel Integrated Graphics Processor available. The system disabled it because it has a GTX 1060 or higher card installed. Only the 1050/ti version has switchable graphics. That is why the Intel driver wont work.

The Microsoft Basic Display adapter is showing in the Device Manager because either the NVIDIA driver is corrupted, removed or the graphics card itself is failing.

@Nivaan31  try this if you haven't already...

Download and run Guru 3D's Display Driver Uninstaller. The downloads are at the bottom of their webpage.

If it detects any graphics driver to uninstall, do that and reboot.

Then install the latest NVIDIA driver directly from NVIDIA's website. I'm using this as HP's driver is really out of date now.

NVIDIA Geforce Game Ready driver 461.92 (at the time I wrote this). Spanish version... https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/results/171610/

Let me know what happens.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @Nivaan31,

I suggest you install the Intel graphics driver first and then install the discrete graphics driver. Since I don't know your exact model (since you provided a general model series identifier), please make sure to check if your device uses either an AMD or NVIDIA graphics card.

Kind regards,

Eddy

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

I did try to install the intel driver however when I execute it, it says it is not compatible. Not even that, i tried to install all the drivers but the AMD one, because I know my laptop doesn't use that. However, all of them say they cant find the appropriate hardware in order to install it. I don't know what else to do. Ill try to give you the exact model. According to HP it is called: OMEN by HP - 15-ce018ns. Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

Also, I have watched some tutorial on the internet, and when I try to install a driver from a list, they have intel in the list. I don't

know why it does not appear on mine. Anyone know why?

hp.png

HP Recommended

Please type in the Windows 10 Search bar winver and tell me the version of Windows 10 you have.

Also, please head to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and then check for updates and install all that are available.

I don't know if you've tried this already but:

1. Go to Device Manager
  2. Expand Display Adapters
  3. Right-click the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter (No ACPI Support)
  4. Select Update driver
  5. Select Search automatically for drivers

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

Yes, I have tried updating the driver, however, it says everything is up to date, do that is not an option. Also my Windows version is this one.

hp2.png

In case you can't view the image, my version is: 1909 Version (OS 18363.1440)

HP Recommended

Hey gang, just so you both know with that model Omen (specs), it does not have the Intel Integrated Graphics Processor available. The system disabled it because it has a GTX 1060 or higher card installed. Only the 1050/ti version has switchable graphics. That is why the Intel driver wont work.

The Microsoft Basic Display adapter is showing in the Device Manager because either the NVIDIA driver is corrupted, removed or the graphics card itself is failing.

@Nivaan31  try this if you haven't already...

Download and run Guru 3D's Display Driver Uninstaller. The downloads are at the bottom of their webpage.

If it detects any graphics driver to uninstall, do that and reboot.

Then install the latest NVIDIA driver directly from NVIDIA's website. I'm using this as HP's driver is really out of date now.

NVIDIA Geforce Game Ready driver 461.92 (at the time I wrote this). Spanish version... https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/results/171610/

Let me know what happens.

HP Recommended

Oh, I did not know that, I will try and will get back to you!

HP Recommended

It worked perfectly, thank you very much!

HP Recommended

You are quite welcome.  😎

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.