Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Hp Pavilion gaming 15 Dk1064TX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I got my laptop two months ago and I noticed that the CPU temperatures are very high (90+ degrees) while the GPU never goes above 74. My model has the I5 10300h, GeForce RTX 2060 Max-Q and 8GB of memory. Just recently, I tried elevating the base of the laptop with some books and now the CPU averages at 83 degrees and GPU is almost always at 70 degrees.Will elevating the laptop damage the components? Battery, motherboard, etc. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello
when you "normally" use the laptop, is it placed on a desk, or other surface, not directly on you or on a bed for example?

So if you are using the laptop on a flat surface, such as a desk, it is not normal for you to have to elevate it.
All the same, check the ventilation if there is not too much dust.
but if your computer is stable, you may need to find something other than books.
But that shouldn't be a problem
If you need, for example, there is  this type of product, it could be a little better:

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B077CYW19C?tag=ergomag-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

as I say it is an example, look for a product that will suit you

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello
when you "normally" use the laptop, is it placed on a desk, or other surface, not directly on you or on a bed for example?

So if you are using the laptop on a flat surface, such as a desk, it is not normal for you to have to elevate it.
All the same, check the ventilation if there is not too much dust.
but if your computer is stable, you may need to find something other than books.
But that shouldn't be a problem
If you need, for example, there is  this type of product, it could be a little better:

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B077CYW19C?tag=ergomag-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

as I say it is an example, look for a product that will suit you

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

So sorry, I keep forgetting to come back here. I forgot to mention that when elevated, the fans are much louder and the surface is slightly hot to the touch (it's not when It's not evelated). It's hot where the speakers are. On the underside, it is hot too. But its hot only around where the heat pipes are. Can the heat from the case damage any internal components?

HP Recommended

If the computer is overheated for a long time, yes it can indeed damage the components more quickly.
But in general there is a security, if the computer is too hot it must turn off automatically.

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Turns out the games i play were the ones causing the thermal issues. They automatically set the CPU to always run at its max speed. I disabled the high performance plan setting and haven't had any problems ever since. Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.