Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15 ce0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently purchased this laptop to do gaming, right out of the box, the first issues I faced were ofcourse high temps, going to about 80C — 95C but I set my Power options to Balanced and set the Max Processor State at 99% to control somewhat the temperatures, it still goes to about 75C — 80C but whatever that's I'm fine with.

The issue:

The problem is that when I'm playing games, no matter how 'light' the game is, take Grand Theft Auto: Vice City for example, a game THAT old, running at 60fps just randomly drops to 52 or somewhere below 60 and I feel the "freeze"

Then other games like CSGO have the similar story, I run CSGO capped at 120fps and its running fine until literally, randomly, I get a huge freeze of screen before everything goes back to normal.

I have tried completely removing any graphics drivers and doing a clean re-install but it didn't really change much, I also tried the Best Performance mode in Windows but it didn't help, I tried to tweak NVIDIA control panel by adjusting 3d settings etc to Max Performance to get rid of these freezes/fps drops, can someone free me from my regret of buying this laptop?

38 REPLIES 38
HP Recommended

the problem is limiting cpu state to 99% you are disabling turbo boost hence for some game you will notice performance loss.

You can buy a cooling pad it helps and you can try undervolting the cpu  that you can get much lower temp and doesn't damage the cpu and still getting turbo boost

HP Recommended

Even on 100% it drops framerates, I undervolted to -130mV via Intel Extreme Utility, and I disabled turbo boost on purpose, but I can also try enabling it back and setting processor state to 100%

The real issue is not about temps, its about fps drops.

HP Recommended

yes disabling turbo boost can affect gta V and some other games  some youtube video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ7frn5snjw testing on a i58300h

HP Recommended

Thanks for that video, and I did notice myself that disabling Turbo boost does take temps down but again, is it also causing the fps drops?

If disabling turbo boost is causing fps drops, I'm down to re-enable it and find an alternative for higher temperatures, hope my question is understood clearly this time 😄

I want to get rid of fps drops

HP Recommended

Still need help.

CPU, GPU and Disk usage does not hit 100% but frame drops occur, a very annoying game freeze from 60 to 53 or sometimes even 30-40.

HP Recommended

you said your omen is a ce0xx series   need the complete product number ( does it have a nvidia card or amd ? )

HP Recommended

It has an nVidia GTX 1060 6GB

Product number: Removed

HP Recommended

please remove product number from post ( i meant model number ) anyway go nvida  control panel  , manage  settings ,program settings then add or search for pubg.exe  then make sure cuda -gpu option is ticked on gtx1060 and  power management mode is on prefer maximum performance  

HP Recommended

My laptop does not have 2 graphic cards, it only has 1 graphics card that is the integrated nvidia GTX 1060, in cuda gpu option only the gtx 1060 option is available and it is already ticked

Something worth mentioning:

I usually capped my games at 60 fps, however today I decided to test something, when I had my games at 60fps, the game would freeze and I'd drop to 53 fps for example, then I uncapped the fps and it I was getting around 80-100fps but even then I'd get a game freeze randomly and the fps would go down by roughly -7 (60fps -> 53fps on drop/freeze, 90fps -> 81fps or 73fps on stutter/game freeze)

So whatever is the issue, it just hangs the games itself, also its not just specifically PUBG, it just happens on any triple A title game, PUBG, Rust, GTA V etc.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.