Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN Laptop 15-en0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I'm playing on the new Omen 15 with Ryzen 5 4600H and 1660 Ti. When I plug into the AC power, the frame rates are great. But upon switching to battery FPS drop by almost 35~50%. I'm attaching my power settings, please help me get the maximum performance.p1.JPGp2.JPGp3.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

193D3PA = OMEN Laptop - 15-en0002ax. 

Either way it does not matter. All laptops will only game at half or less their rating when on battery only. This is absolutely normal. They do this to conserve battery power and heat, no matter what settings you have in the systems power options.

You can change this to allow the graphics card to perform a little better on battery only by changing the settings in the NVIDIA control panel instead. NOTE this will still not be as good as gaming on power cord. HP recommends you always game with the power plugged in. This will prevent your battery from reaching its end of life sooner.

Changing the Global settings > Power Management Mode to Prefer Maximum Performance will force the laptop to always use the NVIDIA card.

global settings.JPG

Or if you use the Program settings tab, you can individually choose what program or game uses full power instead.

Programs Mode.JPG

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@BabaYaga,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need the product number and the exact model for your computer.

Follow the steps in the below article to find the product details.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824

Look forward to hearing from you and you have a great day!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello @The_Fossette, 

My product number is 193D3PA#ACJ, my model is HP Omen 15 -en0002AX. Also I've disabled battery boost function from GeForce Experience.

Please help me resolve this

HP Recommended

@BabaYaga,

The product number you have shared seems to be incorrect. Please check and share the correct product number.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

193D3PA = OMEN Laptop - 15-en0002ax. 

Either way it does not matter. All laptops will only game at half or less their rating when on battery only. This is absolutely normal. They do this to conserve battery power and heat, no matter what settings you have in the systems power options.

You can change this to allow the graphics card to perform a little better on battery only by changing the settings in the NVIDIA control panel instead. NOTE this will still not be as good as gaming on power cord. HP recommends you always game with the power plugged in. This will prevent your battery from reaching its end of life sooner.

Changing the Global settings > Power Management Mode to Prefer Maximum Performance will force the laptop to always use the NVIDIA card.

global settings.JPG

Or if you use the Program settings tab, you can individually choose what program or game uses full power instead.

Programs Mode.JPG

HP Recommended

h.PNG

HP Recommended

Hello @Photoray002, I know and understand that laptop throttles speed since they can't keep up with the power requirements of the GPU. But I don't even obtain playable 30 FPS on a 8 year old game. And I do have the settings kept on to prefer max performance. I was playing The Outer Worlds and it gave me 12-18 FPS when I had a power cut. geforce.PNGnv.PNG

HP Recommended

It helps us if you post everything you have tried already so we don't repeat those steps.

Have you tested the battery yet from the UEFI Diagnostics?

F2 at power_on to access the tool. Go to component tests>power and test the battery. HP How to use Diagnostics

HP Recommended

Hello @Photoray002 , so far I've tried to change settings through the windows control panel, Nvidia Control Panel and Nvidia GeForce Experience. I ran the battery diagnostics today as you advised and here are the results. The test was done while it was plugged inbios.jpgbios2.jpg 

HP Recommended

Well you got me then. The only other thing I can offer is to contact HP Support for a warranty claim and explain your dilemma.

I assume you are still under warranty. Use this link to contact them... Contact HP Worldwide | HP® Official Site 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.