Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 15 J9K22UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am having two problems currently:

1)   My left fan completely went out awhile back, and I got it replaced under warrenty from HP.  Unfortuantly now my right fan runs at a slower speed and pushes out noticably hotter air than the left fan.  I use external fans as well to make sure my computer stays cool, but I don't want to have to worry about the right side of my computer overheating.  I already have the box ready to go to send it back for warrenty again, but my school semester just started and most of my classes require me to have my own person computer.  Should I just ignore it until the semester ends or is there someway to fix it (I already went through the standard protocl the support services would take me through.

2)  My keyboard lighting and OMEN control are not working.  My WASD keys in particular are dimmed compared to the rest of my keyboard, to fix this problem I ran a number of diagnostics and then did a hard reset where I held the powerbutton while it was off and everything was unplugged for 10 seconds.  That seemed to help the problem, the A key is now just as bright, and the W and D keys are almost as bright as the rest of the keyboard, but the S key is just as dim.  Additionally the HP OMEN control does not work at all (macro keys, advanced options, colors, ect.).  I tried completely reinstalling both the supporting software and the control panel softwarre itself as other pages on this forum suggest, but that has not resolved the issue.

Any help would be appriciated!

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey @Zeddiclease,

The document on the BIOS does not effect Windows and is exactly the same for Windows 7-8-10. The second document is a click on the left side of the panel for Windows 10.

You could  try using the Windows Update Troubleshooting tool to fix any updates that have not come through for Windows.  Please restart the Notebook twice to make sure all update have been completed!

In the Device Manager, click the arrow next to Display Adaptors to expand that category. Right-click on Graphics and select Update Driver Software if more than 1 Graphics adapter do 1 at a time.
Choose the option to Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software.
The Notebook should find and automatically install the updated driver
After the installation is complete, restart your Notebook.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @Zeddiclease,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I came across your post about the Notebook, and wanted to assist you! I have looked into your issue about your HP OMEN 15-5020nr Notebook and issues with fans and keyboards not working correctly. Here is a document that shows you how to restore BIOS factory default settings. That way it will look at the Hardware installed on the Notebook.

With the Keyboard not working correctly I would change the layout using this document as this might be the issue. Restart when complete and test.

Please let me know how this goes.

You can say thanks for trying to help by clicking the Thumbs Up below! Smiley Happy

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for the reply!
Currently I am running windows 10, and both of those links are for windows 8.  I know that the computer initially came in windows 10 but I'd really rather not have to reload everything as I had been able to running windows 10 without issues for awhile, and I like windows 10 significantly more than 8.  Additionally, that link takes me to accessibility options, which is not what I need.

It isn't that the keyboard is not functioning, but rather the backlight on the WASD is dimmer than it should, and the OMEN Control Panel is not functioning at all.  The keyboard itself works just fine though.

I will make sure that my computer is running in default bios settings, as of now I have not (I barely have enough time to finish school work as is, and I don't want to spend to much time messing with the bios when I need my computer to do the homework).

I will update this post on the fan issue once I have time to go into the bios, until then though do you have any other suggestions for getting the keyboard lighting/OMEN Control working?

HP Recommended

In addition to the two problems I still have as mentioned above, now I am also experiencing  my windows display driver (the HD graphics, not nividia) keeps on crashing and then recovering.  This causes massive lags in certain websites and applications.  Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thank you,
Connor

HP Recommended

Hey @Zeddiclease,

The document on the BIOS does not effect Windows and is exactly the same for Windows 7-8-10. The second document is a click on the left side of the panel for Windows 10.

You could  try using the Windows Update Troubleshooting tool to fix any updates that have not come through for Windows.  Please restart the Notebook twice to make sure all update have been completed!

In the Device Manager, click the arrow next to Display Adaptors to expand that category. Right-click on Graphics and select Update Driver Software if more than 1 Graphics adapter do 1 at a time.
Choose the option to Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software.
The Notebook should find and automatically install the updated driver
After the installation is complete, restart your Notebook.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I have seen this nVidia driver issue before and this was fixed in a later version about a month ago.

As mentioned above, Windows Update is a great tool.

Also use the GForce Experience to ensure your graphics drivers are up to date. (Much better than using Windows Update for that.)

With it comes to the the other issues, one key thing is latest versions of the Omen software, (Of course. :P) but then there is the "HP System Event Utility". This is key for controlling lighting, et al.

As you are on Windows 10, this is the link you will want for that: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp73001-73500/sp73248.exe

Hope this helps!

I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.