Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Hp Omen 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi community,

I recently noticed a really strange situation on my 2018 omen laptop. I don’t think it relates to my laptop series number or model, so I won’t include them here. 

a little background: I bought this laptop at the end of 2018. Its GPU is 1070. CPU i7 8750. About 2 months ago, after running apex legends or any demanding game for more than 1 or 2 hours, the frame rate dropped harshly. When I say “dropped”, I don’t mean it dropped from 140 to 40 or 50. The FPS counter on the corner showed FPS was still around 130 140, which is normal frame rate under my settings. HOWEVER, my eyes can detect the graphics were not as smooth as 2 hours ago when I first started the game. I would say the FPS that I feel by my eyes was like 50 something, definitely under 60, even though FPS counter displayed FPS was around 120 (sorry about being repetitive). I checked and traced CPU temperature and apparently it is related to it. CPU temperature can reach as high as 95 degree Celsius in the middle of gaming and I believe it is where I felt FPS dropped. The weird thing is the “real FPS” didn’t drop because of high temperature, but in real life, through my visual sense, it dropped and my game looked very unsmooth. Is it normal?

I have tried clean the fan and removed the plate underneath. Temperature didn’t reach 90°C, around 80 when I did 3DMark pressure test, but when I ran apex legends, it still reached 95°C at some point. is there a good way to cool down CPU or at least slow down its overheating speed?

And btw the right hand side fan spins so slow even in gaming around 300 rpm and my GPU on the right side was so hot almost burnt my hand even though the temperature was just around 70 according to the tracer. I have tried every method that I could find online to control its speed and nothing worked. Is it normal that CPU fan speed is around 2500 rpm and GPU fan is around 300 while gaming?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@I_OF_STORM

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue.

There are many ways to increase FPS and system performance:

• Update the BIOS.

For notebook PCs, go to HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS

• Update the graphics driver.

Go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, enter your PC model, then select the driver for your graphics card.

• Most games allow you to change the graphics settings. Using a lower graphic quality often improves FPS.

• Close any applications or programs that are not being used.

• Turn on Game Mode. Game Mode is a new feature in Windows 10 Creators Update that improves gaming performance by limiting background processes and programs from using system resources while a game is running.

1. Press the Windows key and G to open the Game bar.

2. In the game bar, click Settings.

3. Click the check box next to the game title to enable Game Mode for that game.

Plug notebook PCs into an AC adapter to give the graphics card more power.

• Plug notebook PCs into an AC adapter to give the graphics card more power.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.