Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-cx0001nq
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,
Probably has been asked a lot, but it seems like every laptop has its different philosophy on fixes, so mine's probably different from somebody else's.

I have a Pavilion 15 CX0001NQ laptop - the model with the i5 8300H, GTX 1050ti, 8gb DDR4 ram.
My problem with it is that I get a lot of frame drops every 5 minutes or so, no matter what game I run.
A good example is Mirror's Edge Catalyst - it's running all good with 100+ fps and randomly it drops to 5fps for a solid 10+ seconds.
Now, I am aware of the fact that these laptops seem to get pretty hot, with temps over 90 degrees C, that's why I try to keep it somewhat cool, on my desk, with pretty good airflow around it.
Problem in fact is actually the GPU. It goes up to 100% everytime I'm in a game, and stays there.

My issue is probably related to thermal throttling, where the laptop gets so hot it slows itself down to be in a "safe" state, so my big questions around this are:

• Does HP have a solution for this? Are there any 3rd party software that can lower my cpu/gpu voltage so I don't run into any issues while playing games?

I pretty much have this issue since I bought the laptop about 8 months ago. No, I don't run my games while having 500+ browser tabs open, or have questionable pirated software/games that can lead me to this.
    Also, the NVIDIA drivers are being updated everytime there is a new update.
    I've taken everything into consideration, but seems like my troubleshooting did nothing benefic.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Vlad18 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the laptop sudden frame drops in various games.

Do not worry. I will try to fix the issue.

HP will not recommend third-party software.

Please update the windows update.

Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type, and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Install updates using HP Support Assistant

1. In the search box, type, and open HP Support Assistant. 
  2. Check for updates. 
  3. If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.  

Note: If you do not have HP Support Assistant installed, Click here to download the same.

Right-click your desktop background and select NVIDIA Control Panel. You can also find this tool by performing a Start menu (or Start screen) search for NVIDIA Control Panel or by right-clicking the NVIDIA icon in your system tray and selecting Open NVIDIA Control Panel. 

  

To quickly set a system-wide preference, you could use the Adjust image settings with the preview option. For example, if you have old hardware that struggles to play the games you want to play, you may want to select “Use my preference emphasizing” and move the slider all the way to “Performance.” This trades graphics quality for an increased frame rate. 

  

By default, the “Use the advanced 3D image settings” option is selected. You can select Manage 3D settings and change advanced settings for all programs on your computer or just for specific games. NVIDIA keeps a database of the optimal settings for various games, but you’re free to tweak individual settings here. Just mouse-over an option for an explanation of what it does. 

  

If you have a laptop with NVIDIA Optimus technology — that is, both NVIDIA and Intel graphics — this is the same place you can choose which applications will use the NVIDIA hardware and which will use the Intel hardware. 

  

For more assistance, please check a similar HP Forums post (Resolved): Click here    

(Though the header is different the steps will help get you a fix). 

Please update the BIOS.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Hey Praveen,

I've updated my BIOS and it looks like the issue was fixed. Checked the usage of my GPU and also CPU and they are not even maxing out anymore, whereas before I was running into stutterings while the usage was always up to 100%. (would've been even better if this model had any fan control to stop those high temps🙂)

I will give it another day or two to check if the problem bounces back or not, but as of now it seems like the BIOS update worked.

Thank you for the detailed response, have a good day!

HP Recommended

@Vlad18

Thank you for the update.

We are happy to hear that the provided solution worked for you.

In the future, if you have any other concerns. Please get back to us.

We will assist you.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

I hate to do this, but it seems like the BIOS update was not actually the solution! Or at least it was for a day..

I'm back at where I started out, same stuttering, same time interval - just as I open a game and start playing for more than five minutes.

Just to be sure, I followed up with the other suggestions that you posted above, but with no luck.
To avoid confusion, I am using the laptop's own AC adapter that it came with - also having everything to high performance in the Power Options settings in Windows.

Please let me know if there are any more solutions to this (excluding sending it to service desk).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.