Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP - 15-dc0106tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi All,
I have this problem with GTX 1060M on hp omen laptop, when I disable nvidia GTX 1060 from device manager, it works fine but as soon as GPU is enabled, laptop freezes and continuously goes blank back and forth. The laptop is just 3 years old and the issue started when I was playing “Horizon Zero Dawn” and suddenly it crashed while I was on chrome browser for some time.
I tried DDU, complete reinstall win 10, rollback bios firmware, completely disassembled laptop and cleaned CPU GPU thermal paste but no luck.
One thing I noticed is when you try to switch tabs GPU usage is instantly spiked to 100% but if you try to watch some 4k/8k hdr 60fps videos on YouTube it works fine until you don’t switch tabs or hover mouse around, there GPU and clocks everything works as expected.
So I wonder why the laptop works perfectly fine even when playing 8k @60fps videos(youtube), watch netflix, prime etc. and uses full potential of GTX1060 until I try to switch or hover around.

Note: Laptop doesn't have intel HD graphics, it only has GTX 1060 display driver with G-Sync 144 Hz refresh rate. I have also shared the video link to showcase the issue, see there as soon as gpu is enabled video plays at 60fps and fully uses gpu power. But after hovering around it starts to flash. Is this a GPU failure or some short circuit ?

Please reply what can be done to fix this, the most annoying part is I didn't found a single article or video on this issue over the whole internet.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Try these steps. This may work out

1. Examine the adapter and power cord for physical damage
  2. Test the power from the AC wall outlet to the notebook connector
  3. Start the computer using the battery only
  4. Check that the lid switch moves freely
  5. When you have completed the troubleshooting steps, there should be power available to the computer. When you press the power button, the LEDs should glow, and you should hear the sounds of the fan and the hard drive spinning.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.