Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen Notebook PC 15
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I am having issues with my Graphics I believe. I am not sure if it is a hardware or a software issue though.

Symptom: When I launch a game the computer freezes and there's a buzzing sound. The sound almost sounds like it is coming from the hardware rather than through the sound. Although this doesn't happen everytime. CTRL-ALT-DELETE does not work when this happens. Pushing the Window key does not work. The only way to get out of the freeze is to hard boot the PC. This happened about 3 weeks ago as well after a gaming session. I restored the computer to factory default and it worked fine until 10/30/15. I would say the 1st time it happened was on 10/01/15. So a whole month went by before this happened again. Both times it happened after a long gaming session. I closed my Laptop down, went to another house and then when I attempted to play again this freezing/buzzing happened. This time I was unable to resolve the issue.

The Games I play or have tried: Hearthstone, WOW, Heroes of the Storm, Diablo III, Starcraft II and Skyrim. All seem to have this issue now.

Things I have done.

Restored PC to factory default. (Installed Windows Updates, Installed HP Updates, Updated Graphics Card)

Un-installed & Re-installed Graphics Card

Restored PC to factory default (Installed Windows Updates, Updated Graphics Card) - I remember when I first purchased the PC. I installed HP updates through the HP support manager. This messed the graphics up. I restored and it worked fine up until 10/01/15. So I thought maybe I screwed it up by doing this. What's interesting is now after I restored my PC for the third time. HP finds no updates. Maybe they stay installed now?

Graphics Card is running at 70C (Used Unigine & Unigine Valley) Ran this several times with no issue. This blows my mind. Why would this work find but no games.

HP Peformance advisor isn't working anymore. I have un-installed this and re-installed. Seems to be erroring out when it looks for the graphics card.

To be honest. It seems to be getting worse and worse the more I restore and try different troubleshooting steps. Nothing is really making sense logically here. I fix computers for a living but seriously this thing is giving me one hell of time.

I am kind of not even sure what to do anymore.

It seems like the Nvidia GTX860M is having issues. When I right click and go to Nvidia control panel. There isn't a lot of information there like there used to be. The only option I have is 3D Settings. This is even after the un-isntall and re-install.

Any thoughts on where I should go with this? This PC is still under warranty and I have the 3 year help plan. Thanks in advance. I am happy to give you any additional information. This thing is just blowing my mind!! Thanks! 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

After tons and tons of troubleshooting I finally figured it out. I was on the phone with HP when I figured it out. They kept on transferring me back and forth between the hardware and software department. They really didn't help much.

Just in case anyone else has this same problem.

HP Omen Laptop 15 - Windows 8.1

Symptom: Graphics Issue - Freezing/Locking up when playing ANY game and when launching HP performance adivsor.

Solution: Un-install Nvidia Graphics Card and Nvidia Ge-Force Experience. Also anything else that says Nvidia in your control panel Add/Remove Programs.

Go to HP and download the Nvidia graphics card on there website for your PC. DO NOT install the Nvidia Graphics card driver from Nvidia's website.

Nvidia is currently on 352 or something like that. I downloaded 348 or whatever was on HP's website. Everything works find now. Nvidia botched something with there driver update.

Nvidia Geforce Experience will NOT work. What's the better solution though right? Playing games or using there Geforce experience.

Hope this helps anyone who runs into this issue.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

punk

Please post first the full system name

For intel HD use the Util

for nvidia use the new driver

Please uninstall first booth driver

reboot install intel reboot install the Nvidia

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

After tons and tons of troubleshooting I finally figured it out. I was on the phone with HP when I figured it out. They kept on transferring me back and forth between the hardware and software department. They really didn't help much.

Just in case anyone else has this same problem.

HP Omen Laptop 15 - Windows 8.1

Symptom: Graphics Issue - Freezing/Locking up when playing ANY game and when launching HP performance adivsor.

Solution: Un-install Nvidia Graphics Card and Nvidia Ge-Force Experience. Also anything else that says Nvidia in your control panel Add/Remove Programs.

Go to HP and download the Nvidia graphics card on there website for your PC. DO NOT install the Nvidia Graphics card driver from Nvidia's website.

Nvidia is currently on 352 or something like that. I downloaded 348 or whatever was on HP's website. Everything works find now. Nvidia botched something with there driver update.

Nvidia Geforce Experience will NOT work. What's the better solution though right? Playing games or using there Geforce experience.

Hope this helps anyone who runs into this issue.

HP Recommended

Man you're a god !

I was having some micro freezes lasting only 1-3 seconds when doing common stuff as right-click on the desktop and then on "display settings". The notebook was literally freezing for 1 to 3 seconds without letting me do anything. 
Then on some other moments, as for example, clicking on the windows start logo on the left corner, it did the same to me.

I saw there were a lot of threads concerning this issue and a lot of discussions but the issue was simply the same as you had for me. I've uninstalled the Nvidia graphics driver and the issue disappeared immediately :D.. I'm now dl-ing the Nvidia drivers from HP support website as you also did. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.