Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Laptop 17-an0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I've been having some trouble with the CPU usage of my laptop. Whenever I started up my PC, I checked the Task Manager and I noticed that the CPU Core 0 was always been utilized at a constant 100% even if I was doing nothing on my PC and it was idle, the task using it up was a program called "ntoskrnl.exe" in 'System". After searching for a solution on the internet, I found someone with a similar issue as mine and that person fixed his issue by opening up his PC and flipping a switch next to the SATA cable on the HDD Caddy. Now, Im not very experienced in the interiors of my laptop so I need help to find the Caddy Switch of my particular Laptop, if anyone can tell my where the switch is located and where do I toggle it, it would be greatly appreciated. My Laptop is an HP Omen 17 inch (2017 edition) with 1 TB HDD and 512 SSD, Core i7 7700HQ and GTX 1070 8 gb with 16 gb RAM. I have not changed the interiors of my laptop ever since I bought it, all help would be appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @XTrior

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the "High CPU Usage" issue. 

Let's try these steps to update the computer - 

Step 1 Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Step 2 HP Support Assistant Updates -

1) In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Also, run the System File Checker - 

1) Select Start, and in the search box, enter Command Prompt. Press and hold (or right-click) Command Prompt (Desktop app) from the search results and select Run as administrator.

2) Enter DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth (note the spaces before each "/").

3) Enter sfc /scannow (note the space between "sfc" and "/").

If you are trying to re-seat the Hard Drive, please refer to page#40 from the Service Manual

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.