Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 15 i7 8750H + RTX 2060
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey there,

I got my HP Omen 15 i7 8750H with new RTX 2060 and I have constant fan cooling problem. Basically my fan1 (CPU) is running at 2450 - 2800 RPM while idle to 3400 - 3800 RPM while performing (although sometimes its 3800-4000) whilst fan2 (GPU) is at 150-200 in both idle and performing. The performing part of the fans doesn't bother me (its gaming laptop after all) but browsing the web at 2800 RPM is excruciating pain in the ass.

Basically I went through most of the subtopics and I tried the following:

1. BIOS - turning off the "fan always on" which didn't help at all

2. Playing with power plans and OMEN modes in Omen Command center - helped a bit but the fan is still in that horrible idle RPM range (I mean its also horrible when performing but w/e). 

3. Whisper mode in GeForce Experience - didn't help at all

4. Undervolting - didn't help at all although it was my first time so might have been problem there, but even so I dont expect my gaming notebook in idle state to make jet noise while my 6 year old Asus is silent at the same temperatures

5. RwEverything - I managed to turn off the fans manually but my OMEN fails in few seconds after

6. BIOS and all other drivers are up to date

Few notable things I found out in the process:

1. CPU is overclocked by the turbo boost immediately after the start. I managed to turn of the turbo boost by playing with power options (although I couldnt turn off Intel Turbo Boost in Intel Extreme Turning Utility) which is in default set to aggressive which helped a bit but a) I am still in that horrible idle RPM range b) I turned off my turbo boost which has significant impact on games (of course I can always switch power modes, but how about OMEN doesn't go nuts from the beginning as it should and just turn on the boost when needed?)

2. Both fans are being turned off randomly. The temperatures at that point are around 30 - 35 degrees, however it quickly raises to 40 and both fans kick in (one at reasonable 150 - 200 other to unreasonable 2400 - 2800 or higher).

3. Idle temperature of CPU is at around 57 and GPU at around 47.

4. FN + F but doesn't work at all

From reading all of the internet I saw that this is quite common problem with no general solution, but despite that I am calling for help here as my last stand. If this is unsolvable I am returning it and I am thinking about getting Strix Scar II - any tips?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Gootish
I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details)

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi! Thanks for writing this post. My Omen 17 suffers from the same idle fan noise issue, fan 1 is almost always running at 2800+ RPM. I read similar posts and tried all the stuff that you attempted but could not get it fixed. I wonder if the customer service eventually helped you solve the problem.  Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.