Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

To keep things short I basically woke up one morning turned my laptop on and nothing happened. Had the laptop for about 3 years with no issues and then that was it. I always worked from external SSD drives and kept the laptop clear apart from the odd game. I had to get a new desktop PC as I use it for working from home the only problem is I need a laptop for when I am not at home. I just found out from a PC repair place that it is the motherboard that died but I am having trouble locating a replacement. Can anyone please point me in the right direction? Also would it be cheaper to buy a new laptop rather than a new motherboard for my old laptop? I did spend money upgrading the ram and harddrive on my old one.

Many thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

A motherboard does not die, if it does (in most cases) it only has a short circuit. Of course, the GPU or CPU can also be burned out, but I don't know that in the current case.

In your case: Service is required !
- The computer should be disassembled and checked.
- [ always recommended ] Thermal paste for CPU GPU and bridges should be renewed
- [ always recommended  ]The function of the fan(s) must be checked

- Short circuit test / Replacing the defective components ( mostly MOSFET and/or capacitors )

- battery and power adapter test

- General cleaning ...

Maintenance and Service Guide

If you can't do that, you should have it serviced by a professional notebook (chip level) repair store.

Required for repair 😃
- 2 hands
- 1 brain
- Chip level skills
- Tools

- some bucks to pay service

Comment 😮

A PC/Notebook shop won't fix it for you, they just want to sell you a new computer...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.