Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Intel I7 9750H, RTX 2070, 32 GB Ram, 512 SSD, 1TB HD
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am at the end of my rope with this mess of a laptop. I have owned HP devices before and use them at work. I have a relatively new 9 month old HP Omen 17 CB with great specs that I paid a pretty good amount of money for.

Previously I have owned other devices and learned my lesson to try to avoid sending it in for repairs if at all possible since many times it comes back worse from when it was sent in, I have had multiple issues with this device since I received it.

Within 30 days of first getting it it failed to see the M2 ssd as the boot device and required a complete cloud reinstall. I was able to do that with the help of phone support.

Shortly after that the internal 1TB HD disk failed and had to be replaced again I managed to get luck and not have to send it in and just swapped the HD and restore my data. Install #2

In the process the M2 boot device was not recognized and again required a fresh install and recovery.... Again without sending in the machine.

So at this point we are talking 3 fresh installs and recoveries and restoring of my data and applications in less than 3 months of owning it.

Then at about month 5 my speakers stopped working. I call support and they said I would need to send it in. This was again after doing yet another clean install as it seemed the issue was something to do with hardware... So that is the 4th fresh install. I chose to not send it in and just use the device with headphones vs sending it in and getting it back worse.

Then about a month ago it stopped holding a charge and still I have no sound. So I call support and after making me do another fresh install they tell me I need to send it in as its a hardware issue. Thats install #5.

I send it in very quickly and they ship it back right away after replacing the motherboard, the battery and do another fresh install (#6). So the sound is back and the battery is charging and there is no more calibration error. So I restore my data and applications and try to play games and the machine is now crashing for any game that is somewhat demanding. This is a hard reset and reboot as if fully power cycled crashing hard.

So decide to do a fresh install not this is clean install #7!. After reloading windows I do all updates, load drivers and verify bios is the latest and then restore data. Still it crashes on every game that loads and does a hard reset of the device with a full power recycle same as before. This is worse than when I sent it in for repair. This is exactly what I was trying to avoid...

I call support and explain the details... they walk me through several of the usual steps of course nothing works, and the last thing they recommend is a full reset of the device. This is the 8th time... we do this together on the phone for hours and they watch as I do it and then get it updated and install some games to try and sure enough the same  thing happens- hard reset and crash of the device with a reboot. The tech tells me they will escalate this to the higher level of support. This higher level support person contacts me and the only offer that they make is for me to send the device back in for a thorough test and to repair it again.

I reluctantly agree and then send it in immediately, it finally comes back yesterday with another fresh install in a somewhat badly damaged box. Luckily it does not appear that any physical damage made it to the laptop.  This time they replaced the MB again, reflashed bios, reinstalled OS and "performed extensive testing".

In the instructions that came with the device it said they did a fresh install of windows and that I will have to be patient while updating my device with the latest windows updates etc. I follow those instructions and update and then install a couple of games and sure enough the **bleeping** machine is hard rebooting yet again. 

I call my escalated support person who main solution at this point is that asks me to try to reset the device again tonight to see if the games work without doing the updates. This is beyond reasonable to me....

I will do that last step but I am seriously at end of my limits for patience and just want a refund and will go with another vendor.

This machine is a lemon and I feel I am getting the run around a bit from this escalated person who just wants push me off..

Can anyone offer any advice on how to get someone willing to help consider either a refund or replacement?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Garnis

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

This situation will need some additional support from our internal teams in HP. For that to happen, we will give you additional instructions/information via Private Message.

Please do check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks. I took several hours last night to completely  reset the machine as the contact I was working with requested and the issue is still not resolved. I also sent him an email last night on completion of the tests.

So far I have not heard back.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.