Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen anx012dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My issue and question is twofold. While using my laptop, I generally keep it plugged in. When it's plugged in, after awhile it just stops charging and runs off the battery until the battery dies and the unit shuts off. This has happened 3 times since I've owned the laptop; I've owned it for 3 months and bought it brand new from Best Buy.

My other question/issue is... when it's plugged up, and it becomes fully charged, the AC adapter is still drawing power. The first time I used it, I let it charge all the way up overnight BEFORE TURNING IT ON and noticed the next day the brick was still hot as if it were still trying to charge the unit. So it was doing all of this even though the unit wasn't powered on. I'm used to laptops discontinuing drawing a charge once it finally charges to 100%. All my laptops do this including other gaming laptops. They are all different brands however, and I'm wondering if this is specific to HP, although my Pavillion never did this.

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi! @SHYHEIM103, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand when you have issues charging your laptop.

Don't worry I'll to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your laptop?

Have you tried charging your laptop using a different adapter?

Please provide the product number of your laptop to assist you better.

Check if the pin inside the DC or charging port is bent or broken.

Try updating the BIOS and check if it helps.

You can update the drivers using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

Please perform below-shown steps to resolve the issue:

Step 01. Click on the Start Button
Step 02. Type "Device Manager" in the start search box & open the Device Manager
Step 03. Look for Batteries and expand it by click on the + symbol on the left
Step 04. Right Click on "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" & uninstall
Note: This Battery driver will get reinstalled automatically when you restart the Notebook again
Step 05. Please Shutdown the Notebook
Step 06. Please remove the Battery and unplug the Power Adapter
Step 07. Press and Hold the Power Button for full 1 Minute
Step 08. Go ahead and put back the Battery and connect the Power Adapter
Step 09. Look for "Plugged In Charging" message on the Battery icon

If the issue persists try updating other drivers on your PC using HP support assistant.

Also, Try running a battery test on your PC using HP support assistant and check if the battery is functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know how it goes!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.