Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Laptop 17-an0tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey so I have an HP Omen 17 (2017 edition) and Ive been a victim of the HP interrupt storm, which is basically one of my CPU cores (Core 0 to be exact) is being used almost a 100% all the time when I start up my PC. The only "fix" Ive found is to basically restart the PC or just close the lid for a second, letting the PC go to sleep and then opening it. This turns the Core back to normal. At first I searched hard on the internet for solution and I thought it was a hardware problem but all my hardware was working fine, I still took out my HDD, SDD, Battery and CPU fans and plugged them back in, the problem still persisted. Then I came across a thread on this very site about people who were facing the same issue as me, they called it an "Interrupt Storm", a program related to ACPI caused it same as mine. So I just want to know if people found a solution to this problem, if so, can someone tell me what it is. Also, I can live with 1 of my cores being utilized at a 100% it doesnt slow down my PC im general but I just want to know, will this effect my gaming performance? Like will this cause stutters or freezing crashing in my games? And does the restart really fix the issue? Or is it still going on behind the scenes?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@XTrior,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that one of the cores on the CPU is utilized 100% all the time.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you update the BIOS and the chipset driver from the below link and check whether the issue is resolved.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

I don't think it will affect your gaming as most of the games use the GPU instead of the CPU.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello there, pal. You probably stumbled upon my thread that got locked by HP Mods 😉

There is still no fix for this issue, other than using GNU/Linux, that allows you to disable the interrupt entirely.

HP agents on this forum know about this issue, but given that nothing has been done in this matter, I assume that none of them has enough pluck/expertise to convey this problem to Omen/Zbook engineers in a comprehensible manner.

Contacting official support is a waste of time in my opinion, they will try to replace your parts - in vain, since the problem resides in a firmware. Many have tried.

HP Recommended

I wrote up a reply to this post but for some reason it was edited by the moderator and published as a new thread.
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Gaming/Interrupt-Storm/m-p/7517555#M65448

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.