Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
pavilion 15-ec1050ax

Hi, 

I play  a  game called DOTA 2. this game doesn't require high graphics but this laptop having such good config how is that i can't play at all on this. Its called Gaming and I am not able to play one game which is all I play.

FYI : Its not even a week I got this laptop from amazon and I paid 73k for this.

First of all I get FPS of 80-90 which is bad and then in game it drop to 15-20.

I really don't understand how and why?

Please fix this laptop or whatever which is to be fixed.

Please don't post big explanations, it would be better if your engineers talk to me as to what is the fault.

Contact no : 8698042639

Thank you.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hello,

The reasons why it can drop to such low FPS, normally is related to overheating and thermal trottling, but in your case, its a new unit so lets not think about that right now, but we can check the temperatures of the CPU and GPU when that low FPS are appearing. 

What is the GPU selected inside the game? Can you select it inside DOTA 2 game menu? Maybe your game is running on the Intel card instead the discrete GPU, causing the frames to drop to such low values.

What about in OMEN Gaming Hub? Check if you have a graphic switcher and to select either hybrid mode or discrete card. It could mean also you dont have the AC Adapter plugged in? Make sure you play with AC Adapter otherwise the CPU and GPU power will be set to lower values and you cant play without the power adapter. 

Check also one other thing, the screen resolution inside the game, the graphic quality, play in window mode, open OMEN Gaming Hub and check the CPU and GPU temperatures during gaming, to understand what is going on with the unit.

Hugo M. Lemos
HP Recommended

Hi, 

thank you for the reply.

In dota 2, there is no option to select the GPU. In Omen also there is no graphic switcher.

Yes when I play the game laptop is always plugged in.

In omen gamin ghub, 

GPU utilization is 28% and temp is 48%

CPU utilization  is 12% and temp is 56%

FYI : I am on the game main menu and not started playing the game

memory utilization  is 91% (7.1GB/8)    --- This doesnt make any sense since there is only one Dota2 application on the laptop.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Try to play Dota2 in window mode, then install CoreTemp and GPU-Z, lets monitor the CPU temperature when the frames are dropping, You can monitor the CPU temperature and the clock speed, to see if there is a big drop on the CPU clock speed and if there is an increase of temperature. I want to know if the problem you have could be related to overheating or maybe thermal throttling for the CPU. When the frames are dropping, do they recover or they stay low?

Hugo M. Lemos
HP Recommended

hi, 

I installed both the s/w but can you tell me where I have to check CPU temperature and the clock speed (on which app).

And to answer to your last question, when the frames are dropping to 20-30 which I have mentioned earlier they come back to around 80-90(even this is less).

so basically when it drops that time I stutter.

Thanks for the help.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Please check CoreTemp pictures, basically when you open the app, you can check the CPU core temperatures as well the CPU clock  speed and its multiplier. Use this site to check how it looks.

https://helpdeskgeek.com/free-tools-review/check-cpu-temperature-high/

In GPU-Z, click on the sensor tab, you can see the GPU and memory clock speeds and temperatures as well.

During gaming in window mode, open these two apps, when the FPS are dropping check the clock speed from the CPU and the core temperatures, if there is any core reaching temperatures of 90 degrees and higher and if the clock speed drops as well. 

What is the current BIOS and GPU driver versions installed?

Hugo M. Lemos
HP Recommended

Hi,

so when in-game and when it stutters,

core temps is about 60-65 (AMD RYZEN 5 4600h) .

and 

GPU-Z 

nvidia Geforce GTX 1650 ti

GPU clock is about 800- 1200 mhz

Memory clock is at 200- 1000 mhz

current bios is : f.20

GPU driver versions :  DxDiag Version: 10.00.19041.0928 64bit Unicode

Please help!

thank you...

HP Recommended

Hi,

The CPU temperature is normal, can you confirm me that, you play Dota2 with medium settings at 1080p at what screen refres rate?

You say the FPS drop from 80/90 to 15/20? Do they recover or stay in those values?  You have the latest BIOS.

What about the NVIDIA card? What is the driver version? Go to NVIDIA control panel and there is a small i click on it, it gives you that information. Do you have GeForce Experience installed? If not, install it and look for updates for the drivers. 

During gaming the CPU temperature is only at 60  to 65 degrees? That is strange then, to have such hig drop on FPS.

Do you have any other game to test and check the FPS values? If not, you can install Unigine Valley, its a benchmark, run the ben mark with 1080p, select highest quality and no anti aliasing. In the end it gives you a score take a picture and attach it here. 

Can you open task manager while gaming in window mode and check how the system resources are utlizing your CPU? 

Let me know the outcome.

Hugo M. Lemos
HP Recommended

Hi, 

I play dota 2 with high setting at 144 refresh rate, Even if I play with basic setting it still stutters.

Geforce GTX version  : 462.80 changed to 471.41 through GEforce experience.

Yes the values are recovered within like 3-4 seconds and then it stops and game can be played smoothly.

so I installed the game you mentioned and here are the results :

https://www.screencast.com/t/WE6zCVzVV40L

I am not sure whether the results are good or bad, maybe you can help me with that.

I cant figure out what is utilizing the resources but one thing I know is in omen gaming hub when I open Dota 2 it shows memory utilization as 91% i.e. 7.1/8 GB.

Maybe this is causing problems?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi,

You say stutter, but the FPS are dropping  or you get stuttering? Do you have G-Sync option or V-Sync and are they enabled? Stutter can happen when FPS are dropping to a low value, so this technologies they syn the GPU frames with the screen refresh rate, so when FPS are dropping since they are linked to each other, you can have stuttering symptom. If you have V-Sync enabled or G-Sync, please disable it. 

For the results, the lowest FPS is too low at 16 FPS but still we dont know the cause of the problem.

How many times does this happens when gaming, one time or several times? How many hours have you been playing with the unit? It can be related either to thermal throttling or something else.

The memory being used, can you open task manager and sort out the memory tab and check what is taking so much resources? Then install Razer Cortex, its a gaming app to optimize your system, it will stop some services and clean your system, its very easy to use, search by this tool and try to check if, after running it, how much cleaning it has done and then you can try to play and check again.

If it happens again, you might want to install HWINFO64, its a small monitoring tool, you can run the sensors option, then there is a logging option at the bottom right corner, enable it before gaming, it will monitor everything in terms of cpu, gpu, memory utilization, temperatures, if there is thermal throttling, you can then attach that file and i can check it. If you can, try to record a video showing the problem and either a link where i can download it to see it, make sure you have the FPS counter enabled when gaming to see what is going on. 

Hugo M. Lemos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.