Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP - 15-dc0029na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi!

I am currently using an 8GB DDR4 RAM. I would like to upgrade to a 32GB one, but I am not sure how to find the one which will actually fit my laptop. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

I would just buy one 8 GB memory chip for now.  It should work fine with the one HP installed.

This would be the compatible 8 GB DDR4-2666 MHz memory chip.

Crucial 8GB DDR4-2666 SODIMM | CT8G4SFRA266 | Crucial UK

DDR4-3200 memory is only going to run at 2666 MHz anyway because that is the fastest speed your notebook's processor can run the memory at.

If the 3200 memory is less expensive than the 2666 MHz memory, that would be the only reason to buy it.

If for some unforeseen reason it doesn't work with the currently installed 8 GB chip you can just buy a second one.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your notebook can't support a single 32 GB memory chip.

The max memory you can install in your notebook is 2 x 16 GB.

This would be a compatible 16 GB memory chip.

If you want 32 GB, buy two of them.

Crucial 16GB DDR4-2666 SODIMM | CT16G4SFD8266 | Crucial UK

Below is the link to the service manual...

OMEN by HP 15 Laptop PC Maintenance and Service Guide

HP Recommended

Thank you! That really helps! The memory card which you linked in your response seems to be sold out basically at all providers though. I found this one on Amazon. Do you think it's suitable? 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT16G4SFRA266-PC4-21300-SODIMM-260-Pin/dp/B08C4VKYFG/ref=sr_1_8?cri...

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I believe that one should work fine too.

I think that is the newer model that superseded the one on the Crucial website which may explain why it is sold out.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much! 

I just have one final question. Considering my laptop's limitations, do you think it would actually make a difference if I got 2 16 GB memory sticks? Or am I safer with just buying an additional 8 GB so I have two 8GB. I am able to do both but I am worried that if I spend the money on the two 16GB ones it might not be worth it. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Here's what I recommend you do...

Run the Windows Resource Monitor program. 

See how much memory is being used.

If your notebook is using half or less of the 8 GB of memory, I would just buy a second 8 GB chip.

Here is the screenshot of my PC with 32 GB of memory installed.

As you can see, I probably could have easily gotten by with 16 GB.

Paul_Tikkanen_1-1645200796233.png

HP Recommended

Currently, without running any apps, I am using 5.2GB out of the 8, but last night when I was running a game, it was around 7.58 our of 8. If I am to buy an additional 8, should I buy only 1 ? (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT16G4SFRA266-PC4-21300-SODIMM-260-Pin/dp/B08C4Z69LN/ref=sr_1_8?cri...

Or would it be better for me to get 2 new ones so they are compatible and of the same MHz ? 

Currently I am thinking of getting 2 3200MHz ones as my current one is only around 2600MHz. 

HP Recommended

Hi:

I would just buy one 8 GB memory chip for now.  It should work fine with the one HP installed.

This would be the compatible 8 GB DDR4-2666 MHz memory chip.

Crucial 8GB DDR4-2666 SODIMM | CT8G4SFRA266 | Crucial UK

DDR4-3200 memory is only going to run at 2666 MHz anyway because that is the fastest speed your notebook's processor can run the memory at.

If the 3200 memory is less expensive than the 2666 MHz memory, that would be the only reason to buy it.

If for some unforeseen reason it doesn't work with the currently installed 8 GB chip you can just buy a second one.

HP Recommended

Again, thank you so much! I just ordered an 8GB one and really hope that it works out well!

I hope you have a wonderful weekend! 

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

You have a great weekend too!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.