Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Pavilion gaming 15-ec0049ur
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have a problem with my Pavilion Gaming 15-ec0049ur laptop which I believe no one else has had. In some games, such as DOOM (2016), Rocket League and A Story About My Uncle the input is sometimes lagging. To be more specific: when I press and hold a button (mostly WASD), sometimes my character will suddenly stop as if I released the button. Weridly enough, in other games like HITMAN and Middle-Earth: Shadow of War there are no such problems at all! I did all the steps recommended by HP to fix the keyboard (reconnected it via Device manager, searched for drivers, updated BIOS), but it didn't help.

Then after running BurnIn Test I noticed that my CPU, Ryzen 5 3550H, overheats up to 93 degrees, and approximately at the same time the in-game FPS drops as well. I double-checked and updated CPU and Chipset drivers and checked the cooling fans and thermal paste on the CPU - they are in normal working condition.

These migt be totally unrelated issues, but I thought the keyboard issue might be connected with my CPU overheating. What should I do to cool down my CPU and/or solve the keyboard issue?

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, here's a little update on my situation:

I performed a clean Windows reinstallation and it worked! What seemed to cause the problem was probably that my SSD had too many partitions on it (which I suppose shouldn't be so on new devices). What I did was start a clean Windows installation and then I deleted all partitions and installed the OS onto the free space on the disk. Right after turning my laptop on I noticed that the integrated GPU, Radeon Vega 8, wasn't loaded up to 40% on the desktop as it used to be but instead was chilling at 0-1%.  I installed all the drivers and HP Assistant, ran every diagnostics possible and also set Windows performance settings to "max performance" as it was suggested earlier. I arleady ran 2 of the games that had those performance issues and noticed that now the issues are gone! I'm so happy 🙂

But if the issues remain in other games I'll let you know right away, but for now I assume the case is closed!
Thank you all for your assistance!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Tegalie Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are facing a game performance issue.

I will need a few details to provide an accurate solution; 

When was the last time it worked without these issues (date)? 

Which games are causing these issues and are they online games or installed on your PC? 

Have you attempted any steps on your own before posting on HP Forums? 

What is the product number of your computer? (Ensure you don't share any personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc..). 

  

In the meantime, you may try the below steps, as even if the game is compatible with your system hardware it may have a slow performance because you are using the windows 8, 8.1 or 10 as the OS uses most of the CPU & graphics card usage, you might want to reduce the visual effects for windows to save the amount of CPU & Graphics card usage required to run your game properly. 

  

Here's how you do it: 

• Go to Start Menu > click on Settings. 

• Type performance > choose Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.  

• In the new window, go to the Visual Effects and select Adjust for best performance. 

• click Apply and ok...this should do the trick. 

If the issue persists, The best way to resolve the issue is to follow the suggestions of the HP Guided Troubleshooter:  

Click here to access it (simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern). 

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS. 
(by the end of this document, all the issues should be resolved) 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Thank you foryour reply!

I tried the recommended steps and adjusted my Windows performance. It seems to have some improvements on the FPS, however, it doesn't solve my input problems.

Here are the details you asked me for:

1. My laptop never really worked correctly since I bought it and installed Windows. 

2. DOOM (2016), A Story About My Uncle and Rocket league are causing the input issue; all of these games are installed on my laptop. Rocket League is also multiplayer game. The processor temperature seems to be normal in all games, though in Hitman it sometimes hits 80+ degrees, but normally stays at 70. When I ran more technically advanced games, however, the processor got hotter.

3. When I first encountered the problem I thought the reason was insufficiant RAM, so I installed 16Gb Kingston 2400MHz instead of stock 8Gb Samsung 2400MHz. The issue remained present, so I tried updating drivers and BIOS. Then I checked my system for any issues using HP Support Assistant. After that I went all-in and checked the cooling system. Both fans work normally and the thermal paste on the processor and the graphics card is fresh and applied well. I also tried reconfiguring som Power settings in Windows to max out performance, hoping it would help wit the input issue. 

Yesterday I also encountered the Blue Screen, which came out of the blue (sorry, I couldn't resist the temptation to make a bad joke). So I ran SFC and DISM, both of which told me my system is fine. As my last hope, I plan to reinstall Windows completely, as I might have messed up the installation process, but I'm not sure if it will be helpful.

The product number is 9RK27EA#ACB

Unfortunately I can't access the HP Guided Troubleshooter for some reason. Google would simply not load the page. As for the second link, I have already tried these steps myself - sadly, they didn't help. 

Update - I also found the code 0021 in BIOS System log, if it means anyting.

HP Recommended

@Tegalie,

Change the video display settings to match the minimum display requirements for the game.

1.      Right-click an open space of the Windows desktop (not on an icon), and then click Display settings.

2.      Change the resolution to match the game’s recommended display settings. Recommended display settings can be found using an online search.

3.      Click OK to accept the change.

4.      If prompted, accept the new settings. The display reverts to the prior settings if the changes are not accepted.

5.      If prompted, select the option to restart the computer, and then try playing the game again.

For more information on how to display settings can affect performance, go to Improving Video Game Performance or FPS (Windows 10).

And, also run BIOS Update: Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Hello, here's a little update on my situation:

I performed a clean Windows reinstallation and it worked! What seemed to cause the problem was probably that my SSD had too many partitions on it (which I suppose shouldn't be so on new devices). What I did was start a clean Windows installation and then I deleted all partitions and installed the OS onto the free space on the disk. Right after turning my laptop on I noticed that the integrated GPU, Radeon Vega 8, wasn't loaded up to 40% on the desktop as it used to be but instead was chilling at 0-1%.  I installed all the drivers and HP Assistant, ran every diagnostics possible and also set Windows performance settings to "max performance" as it was suggested earlier. I arleady ran 2 of the games that had those performance issues and noticed that now the issues are gone! I'm so happy 🙂

But if the issues remain in other games I'll let you know right away, but for now I assume the case is closed!
Thank you all for your assistance!

HP Recommended

@Tegalie

Thank you for the update.

We are happy to hear that the issue is resolved.

In the future, if you have any other concerns. Please get back to us. We will assist you.

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.