Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen by HP 17-an012dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently I installed a webcam driver from the drivers page. The driver was listed HP TrueVision Full HD (FHD) RGB-IR Webcam Driver (Windows 10 v1709/v1803). This camera does not support windows hello however. The other day the camera turned green around the edges and I cant get it to change back. I have removed all traces of drivers to the point when windows 10 restarts it will install the generic microsoft driver but no luck. The camera is still green around the edges and it is listed in the device manager as HD widevision camera even after restarting on the generic driver. I cant remember what it was listed as in device manager before but I know it was not that. Its max is 720p and it was clear as day and all of the sudden its green. Nothing will change it. Ive tried different lighting but until the room is completely dark its green. Anyways the drivers page only show HP TrueVision Full HD (FHD) RGB-IR Webcam Driver (Windows 10 v1709/v1803) and I already know this camera doesnt support windows hello. What driver do I need?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Damnation

Welcome to HP Forums,

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

I see that your experiencing issue with Web camera issue and to get the answer to this question,  Yes the HP TrueVision FHD IR Camera with dual array digital microphone which DOES support Windows Hello facial recognition biometric authentication.

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. and you've performed relevant steps by installing the correct drivers: HP TrueVision Full HD (FHD) RGB-IR Webcam Driver (Windows 10 v1709/v1803)

Let's try this step Uninstall and reinstall the IR camera driver:

Reinstalling the IR camera driver might resolve the issue. Uninstall the driver in Device Manager, and then reinstall the driver from HP Customer Support.

1. Using the search box on the taskbar, search for and open Device Manager.

2. In the Device Manager window, double-click Imaging devices, right-click the name of the IR camera, and then select Uninstall device.

Uninstalling the IR camera

3. Select Delete the driver software for this device, and then click Uninstall.

Selecting Delete the driver software for this device and clicking Uninstall

4. Go to HP Customer Support, and then enter your PC model number.

5. On the Software and driver results page for your PC model, download and install the driver for the IR camera.

Restart your PC by shutting it down and then manually turning it on to see if Windows Hello Face Recognition works. If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

Step 2: Remove the Face Recognition and PIN sign-in settings

In Settings, remove your Face Recognition and PIN settings from the sign-in options.

1. Click Start , and then click Settings .

2. Click Accounts.

Settings window with Accounts selected

3. On the Settings menu, click Sign-in options.

Accounts sign-in options

4. In the Windows Hello area under Face Recognition, click Remove.

Removing Face Recognition

5. In the PIN area, click Remove, and then click Remove again to confirm.

Removing the PIN

6. Type your password in the Password field, and then click OK.

Verifying your account password before the PIN is removed

Continue to the next step to clear the Trusted Platform Module (TPM).

Step 3: Clear the Trusted Platform Module (TPM)

Clearing the keys from the TPM might resolve the issue. Back up your data, disable apps and security features that use the TPM, and then use the TPM management tool to clear the TPM.

Caution: Clearing the TPM can result in data loss. Back up all important data (such as personal files, photos, videos, documents, applications, software) before beginning to avoid any possibility of losing your data. See Backing Up Your Files (Windows 10, 😎 for more information.

1. Disable or suspend all apps that use the TPM, for example, BitLocker.

2. Restart the computer and press Esc repeatedly, about once every second, until the Startup Menu opens.

3. When the Startup Menu displays, press F10 to open BIOS Setup.

4. Use the right arrow key to choose Security.

5. In the Security or System Security settings, disable the following security features, if they are listed.

• Intel Software Guard Extensions (SGX)

• Intel Trusted Execution Technology (TXT)

Note: BIOS configurations vary. Refer to the documentation that came with your PC for specific steps to navigate the BIOS and disable the settings.

Disabling SGX in the Security settings

6. Save your changes and exit the BIOS.

7. Sign in to an administrator account.

8. Using the search box on the taskbar, search for and open Run.

9. In the Open field, type tpm.msc, and then click OK.

If a User Account Control window displays, click Yes.

The TPM management window opens.

Typing tpm.msc in the Run app Open field

10. In the Actions section, click Clear TPM.

Clicking Clear TPM in the TPM Management window

11. Click Restart.

Note: You must be physically present to respond to prompts during the TPM clearing process.

Clicking Restart in the Manage the TPM security hardware window

12. Follow the on-screen instructions to clear the TPM.

13. If you disabled security features such as Intel Trusted Execution Technology (TXT) or Intel Software Guard Extensions (SGX) in the BIOS before clearing the TPM, re-enable them.

note: If the feature was set to Software Controlled, set it to Software Controlled again.

Continue to the next step to set up PIN and Face Recognition settings.

Step 4: Add a PIN and set up Face Recognition

Use the sign-in options in Windows Settings to add a PIN and set up Face Recognition.

1. Click Start , and then click Settings .

2. Click Accounts.

Settings window with Accounts selected

3. On the Settings menu, click Sign-in options.

Accounts sign-in options

4. In the PIN area, click Add.

Selecting Add in the  PIN area of the Sign-in options window

5. Type your password in the password box, and then click OK or Sign in, depending on your account type (local or MSA).

Please reenter your password screen for MSA accounts

Verifying the account password for a local account

6. Type in a PIN, confirm it, and then click OK.

Windows adds the PIN.

Entering the PIN

7. In the Windows Hello area under Face Recognition, click Set up.

Setup under Face Recognition in the Windows Hello area

8. Click Get started.

Get started on the Welcome to Windows Hello screen

9. Type your PIN or password in the PIN or Password field.

Typing the PIN to verify identity

10. When the camera screen displays, position yourself so your face displays in the center of the window, and then hold still until the All set! window displays.

11. Click Close.

Clicking Close on the All set! screen

Restart your PC by shutting it down and then manually turning it on to see if Windows Hello Face Recognition works. If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

Step 5: Perform a system reset

If none of the above actions resolved the issue, back up your personal data, then reset your computer by reinstalling the operating system. Go to Resetting Your Computer (Windows 10) for more information.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.