Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I just purchased (4/15/24) a new HP Envy.  Several issues I'm having and one is the keyboard locks up while gaming (Geforce RTX) and when I close the game it remains locked.   I have to reboot to get back the function.

I'm also getting a quick flash of an error message (like blue and all I can catch is "this device...." and it shuts down and reboots.  Not related to gaming but does this at random times

Should I just return it and start over or is this an issue with HP's and Windows 11?  I am not a tech expert so I need 3rd grade explanations.   Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @JayHarr66 ,

We are sorry that the issue is not resolved when the above troubleshooting steps were performed.

Unfortunately, there are no further actions we can take through this channel. I recommend reaching out to our phone support for further assistance.

1. Click on this link -  https://support.hp.com/us-en

2. Select the country.

3. Enter the serial number of your device.

4. Select the country from the drop-down.

5. Click on "Show Options".

6. Fill out the web form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Have a great day!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @JayHarr66,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you're experiencing a couple of frustrating issues with your new HP Envy laptop. Here’s a straightforward breakdown and some steps you can try before deciding whether to return it:

Keyboard Locks Up While Gaming

This could be related to driver issues, system resource constraints, or software conflicts. Here’s what to try:

Update Drivers: Ensure your keyboard and graphics card drivers are up-to-date. Since you mentioned using a GeForce RTX card, downloading the latest drivers from NVIDIA's website might help. Additionally, check for any pending updates for your keyboard drivers through the Device Manager.

Check for Overheating: Sometimes, overheating can cause the keyboard or other components to malfunction, especially during resource-heavy tasks like gaming. Make sure your laptop’s vents are not blocked and it's well-ventilated.

Adjust Power Settings: Sometimes, power settings may cause components to behave incorrectly to save energy. Check your power settings in the Control Panel and set them for maximum performance, especially while gaming.

Random Error Message and Reboots

This issue sounds like it might be related to hardware or deep-seated system errors, especially if it’s showing a blue screen briefly:

View Error Logs: You can check the error logs to get more insights into what might be causing these random shutdowns. To view these logs, search for “Event Viewer” in Windows, go to 'Windows Logs' -> 'System' and look for error messages around the time your computer rebooted.

System Updates and Scans: Ensure that your Windows 11 is fully updated. Go to 'Settings' -> 'Update & Security' and check for updates. Also, run a system scan to check for any corrupted files. You can do this by typing cmd in the search bar, right-clicking on 'Command Prompt' and selecting 'Run as administrator'. Then type sfc /scannow to start the system scan.

Check for Hardware Issues: Since this is a new laptop, there might be a hardware component that’s failing or not properly connected. Given the severity of these symptoms, this could warrant a return or service check.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

These were very  helpful tips and I went thru each one.  The baby blue screen has not flashed since taking these steps but I still have issues with gaming.  I believe it to be hot keys.  

Trying the game tonight using a mouse instead of Alt - arrow keys to see if that stops the lock.  Thinking it might be a "hot key" that is triggering the lock as it extends to the laptop even after the game is closed.  

Here is a log after doing the scan

Critical               4/29/2024 6:39:25 PM             WinREAgent   4502    None

Windows Recovery Environment servicing failed.

Error        4/29/2024 8:18:41 PM         WHEA-Logger       1              None

A fatal hardware error has occurred. A record describing the condition is contained in the data section of this event.

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

- <System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger" Guid="{c26c4f3c-3f66-4e99-8f8a-39405cfed220}" />

<EventID>1</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2024-04-30T00:18:41.5907632Z" />

<EventRecordID>13543</EventRecordID>

<Correlation ActivityID="{5aa5853a-c207-4aad-91db-00100dccf527}" />

<Execution ProcessID="5880" ThreadID="6392" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>JeanniesEnvy24</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-19" />

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data Name="Length">3408</Data>

<Data

HP Recommended

Hi @JayHarr66 ,

We are sorry that the issue is not resolved when the above troubleshooting steps were performed.

Unfortunately, there are no further actions we can take through this channel. I recommend reaching out to our phone support for further assistance.

1. Click on this link -  https://support.hp.com/us-en

2. Select the country.

3. Enter the serial number of your device.

4. Select the country from the drop-down.

5. Click on "Show Options".

6. Fill out the web form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Have a great day!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I returned the laptop today and shopping for a different one.  Thanks for  your help

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.