Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 15 2018
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Ive been getting bad issues when playing games with my keyboard today. Every time i press a key it presses multiple different keys at the same time like this :14== tyo]9ayoyp7ybm/33gc 1. Ive just pressed a few keys there now when i had a game open and thats what came up when i pressed like 4 keys. Ive unistalled the keyboard from devive manger then restarted so that the drivers could reinstall but nothing happened. please help.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Can you connect a USB external keyboard and test it with?

Im guessing your internal keyboard is failing.

HP Recommended

I dont have any other keyboard to test it to see if its just mine. But it just seems like it does it in games cause when im doing other things other than gaming it bes alright.

HP Recommended

Do you think a factory reset would help. Because ive had this laptop for only a bit over two years so it shouldn't be failing already.

HP Recommended

Sorry I couldn't get back to you right away.  Life gets in the way.

If its only Games affected, what sources for your games did you use? Hopefully no torrent stuff?

You could try a this...  Boot Windows it a clean boot state. That's where you turn off all none windows services and see if the issue continues. If it doesn't, turn the services back on one or two at a time until you find the one that's the culprit.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows-da2f9573-6eec-00ad-...

or

https://www.manageengine.com/patch-management/how-to/perform-clean-boot-in-windows.html

Otherwise yes, you can reset windows. You will probably do best to "Clean reinstall" Windows though, not reset.

You can use the HP Recovery method which requires a 32 GB thumb drive. This puts your computer back to the way it was with HP. HP Cloud Recovery Tool (how to use) 

Or

Clean reinstall with windows direct ISO file, requires an 8GB thumb drive. Choose to custom install and manually delete all partitions first, then let windows continue installing. Create media Windows 10  You will have to add any HP software manually.

HP Recommended

Also, if you do reinstall Windows, don't install anything for a while and test regular usage to see if its working properly. I assume using the Shift key for caps, would cause a problem also. Then update Windows and test again.

Then install one game at a time and test test test between what ever you install. That way, you might find the culprit easier.

HP Recommended

I just wiped my laptop and reinstalled windows, the problem still occurs now and it happens out of games now. I need to use the on screen keyboard to type.

HP Recommended

Ya its gotta be the keyboard itself that went bad. You will either have to try replacing it yourself (I assume you're out of warranty?), or use an external.

HP Recommended

I let my laptop die as i seen something about doing that can fix the keyboard. And now it seems to be working fine again but just hoping it wont start to do it again soon.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the heads up.

If it does it again, rather than let the battery die, try unplugging the power cord and with the laptop off, hold the power button down for 30 Seconds (hard reset). Haven't seen a hard reset work for that before, but there's always a first time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.