Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Out of the blue the letters “I”, “K”, and the comma on my keyboard are not working. If I hold down the “I” key or repeated tap it, a letter might appear or several “I”’s show up and then sometimes nothing happens. The “K” refuses to work at all. Sometimes I can get the comma to work and sometimes it doesn’t work. What is going on with my laptop? I noticed someone else posted a similar problem but it looks like their issue was attributed to multiple keyboards connected to the computer. I have only the keyboard installed in my computer in use. 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi@TrishaJ, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

As I understand certain keys aren't working anymore,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you drop liquid or have any accidents with the keyboard? 

When was the last time it worked without this issue? 

Did you check with an alternate user account or an external keyboard to check if all the keys on that work? 

I recommend the below steps: 

• Clean the keyboard with compressed air (blow compressed air in the gaps between keys). This removes some lint and dust.  

• Shut down the laptop, remove the battery and cable for a moment, press and hold the start button for 60 seconds 

• Replace the battery, restart the notebook, 

• if the issue persists, Contact HP to set up a repair/replacement order (free of cost if covered within the HP Warranty)

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Same issue where the keys in a certain column are not working such as number 9 and the open bracket '(', the letter 'O', 'L'  and dot and full stop'.' below it. I have to use the screen keyboard or numeric keypad for '.'.  It either won't type at all or type multiple letters once it starts working. Tried hard resetting, all diagnostic tools, virtual agent. Nothing works. Even the service centre and HP customer care contact number is inaccessible. Unable to get in touch with anyone from HP. Worst Customer Service!! 

HP Recommended

And I don't have a removable battery. cleaned with a blower for any dust or lint stuck underneath. And its not gaming notebook. Sorry din't realise the thread under which I was replying. Like right now the keys are working fine. But the original post took several more minutes than it should just for pressing the keys 😞

HP Recommended

Hi @TrishaJ, Prutha_V,

Welcome to the HP Support Community.  

As this is a hardware issue, I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer. 

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.   

Have a great day!  

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.