Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion CB050
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I recently got this HP Pavilion CB050 and since I've first time used it until now (1 month so far) the fans keep blowing at max speed the whole time. The laptop isn't hot at all, as soon as I press the button to turn it on it starts with full blast.

Its irritating as hell to hear it blow so much the whole time, I've tried everything and nothing makes it quiter. I've heard it run normally but very rare.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@BorcheP

Thanks for your reply. 

Based on the evidence, I have sent you a private message suggesting the next course of action.

Hope that helps. Good luck! 🙂

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@BorcheP

Welcome to HP Support Forums.

I came across your post and would like to assist you.

I understand that your new HP Pavilion Power - 15-cb050od has fan working at high speeds. The laptop does not appear to be overheating as well. 

To assist you better please reply with the following information:

• Were the fans so fast from day one or did this issue occur later.
  • Did any updates or changes take place on the laptop post which the fan started to appear loud?

While you respond to that, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate and fix the issue:

• Power off the laptop.
  • Remove the battery out. If the battery is integrated and does not have a latch to release it then leave the battery inside the laptop. 
  • Disconnected AC adapter from the laptop.
  • Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.
  • Reconnect the battery and plug the AC adapter.
  • Power ON the laptop.

If the fans are loud again and rotate at high speeds then let us check if the BIOS on your laptop gives an option to disable the "fan always on" option. Teh following steps will help:

• Shutdown the laptop.
  • Power on the laptop and immediately hit the f10 key repeatedly on the keyboard (7-8 times). This will make the BIOS screen appear.
  • While you're in the BIOS, please restore the BIOS defaults. Save and exit the BIOS screen.

In case the the issue persists after performing a BIOS defaults, please continue with the below steps:

• Click here to download and install the BIOS update for the laptop.
    NOTE: The charger must be connected to the laptop during the BIOS update so that the laptop does not power off due to the battery draining out. 

During you free time time you may refer to this HP document that helps in reducing the fan noise on HP laptops.

If the fan continues to be loud then I suggest you to run the system extensive test by following the below steps:

• If the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics for Windows app is not available on your computer, download the latest version from the HP Hardware Diagnostics website.

• In Windows, search for and open the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows app.

• On the main menu, click System Tests.

• Click the System Extensive Test tab.

• Click Run once.

While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component are shown on the screen. The test can take 2 or more hours to complete.

• If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) and let me know.

I sincerely hope this information helps. Please feel free to keep me posted for further assistance.

All the best!

If you would like to thank us for the efforts to help you, feel free to mark this post as "Accept as solution". That’ll help everyone find the solution and help the community to grow.

HP Recommended

First I'd like to give some info about the laptop.

It's running on the Windows 10 Home which I got with the laptop itself. The version I have is with 8 GB of RAM, i7-7700HQ, GTX 1050 4GB and 1TB of HDD storage.

The very first 2-3 days I couldn't use the laptop much because I was busy, it took a few days for the laptop to install the most imporant stuff (HP software and drivers). The first time I started the laptop it was quiet because it was the windows setup, after few hours passed it started to increase but it was getting a little hot.

After the first days the fans kept beign loud and at full speed more and more time. I walked around every topic I found and it was saying about the air vents, which are actually clear since it's new. My CPU usage is normal but I have troubles with my HDD which is most of the time over 90% and makes my whole system lag.

Screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/sFM4qa5 (This is at the moment I'm writing the reply, just the browser and spotify, and this is the usage.)

I have most of the basic stuff, some Adobe software and music related software (rekordbox & FL Studio) with a few Steam games (CS GO &GTA V). Almost everything is set to not start automatically with the windows.

I don't see what might be causing the fans to run like that. All the updates that have been done are from windows itself but it is most of the time the same.

The only way I can make the fans quiet are by moving the laptop weirdly around but it will start at full speed on a second or two. I tried turning on and off the HP CoolSense but doesn't make a difference.

Also tried all of the steps You gave me, still same.

Currently I'm running the test You gave me, in case a component fails the test I will write it down.

HP Recommended

The test finished and everything had "PASSED".

HP Recommended

@BorcheP

Thanks for replying and sharing the image. 

Could you close the Microsoft Skype and Service Host that are taking too much load on the hard disk and check?

Secondly, please ensure that the Windows operating system is up to date, You may have to check for Windows updates again.

Also, download and run the HP Support Assistant. This will update the required drivers for the laptop:

• Click here to download the HP Support Assistant.
  • Use HP Support Assistant to automatically install computer updates, such as updated drivers, system updates, and useful utilities.

• Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

• Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

• Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

• Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

• Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

• Perform any other update management actions as needed.

• Postpone an update: Click Remind me, and then select a time preference.

• Delete an available update: Click the Delete icon  to remove the update from the list and record it in the action log.

• Review updates status: Click Action log below the list to view installed, postponed, or deleted updates.

Restart the laptop after the HP Support Assistant finishes updating the drivers. 

Let me know what happens.

Cheers! 

HP Recommended

I'm on the latest version of Windows and the only solution I found is covering the air vents for a few seconds.

After I move my hand away the fans start beign normal but go at full speed in a minute or so... I'm 100% sure the vents are clear since they look like they are.

I have tried with HP Support Assistant before posting this.

HP Recommended

@BorcheP

Thanks for the reply.

You may try going to the BIOS (hit f10 key on startup). And in the BIOS checkout if an option called "fan always on" is present. You may check under multiple tabs in the BIOS. 

If it is present then disable it and then save and exit from the BIOS.

If that option is not available in the BIOS then you could perform a Windows Push Button Reset on the laptop. The steps mentioned in "Perform a Windows 10 system reset through Windows Recovery Environment" fro this HP document should help. 

While performing a push button reset, you have two options, either save your files and continue or remove everything as shown in the below image:

Keep my files and Remove everything options

Hope this works out. Keep me posted.

Good luck! 

HP Recommended

Since nothing You gave me helped.

I guess the problem is this.

I've read that the laptop fans start to run faster if the air vents are covered, if not they run at normal speed.

When I cover the air vents it starts to run at normal speed but when they're not covered they run at max speed.

So it kinda looks like the system has no idea what it is doing, probably made things the opposite way. The problem is that I cant really do a reset because I have a lot of software that I need most of the time on my laptop and I dont have time to reinstall them and set them up properly.

HP Recommended

Here I recorded a video -

https://youtu.be/H_zWiAuBUQY

HP Recommended

@BorcheP

Thanks for your reply. 

Based on the evidence, I have sent you a private message suggesting the next course of action.

Hope that helps. Good luck! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.