Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP pavilion gaming laptop 15 ec0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi I recently bought a hp pavilion gaming laptop and I am facing many problems the day laptop came it was running just fine but after a few days the laptop lags in everything I do make that gaming or online classes and when I talk about gaming I mean  casual gaming like running an 2d  arcade game(the games I've downloaded are roughly of 1gb together ) for relaxation .49 to 52 percent of the memory is always consumed at idle and the usable ram decreases whenever I download a game(first it was 6gbthen it became 5.92gb when I downloaded the 2nd game). its becoming very irritating that the laptop is becoming slow day by day I've installed a norton antivirus but it only consumes 2% of memory which I don't think is a problem something is causing this there's no malware in my laptop 

Pls help me is there something wrong or its   a default on your side and one more thing is my memory consumption problem is normal or not because at first this was not the case

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

@Vaibhav31 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the laptop lags while performing the game and

I will need a few details to provide an accurate solution; 

When was the last time it worked without these issues (date)? 

Which games are causing these issues and are they online games or installed on your PC? 

Have you attempted any steps on your own before posting on HP Forums? 

  

In the meantime, you may try the below steps, as even if the game is compatible with your system hardware it may have a slow performance because you are using the windows 8, 8.1 or 10 as the OS uses most of the CPU & graphics card usage, you might want to reduce the visual effects for windows to save the amount of CPU & Graphics card usage required to run your game properly. 

  

Here's how you do it: 

• Go to Start Menu > click on Settings. 

• Type performance > choose Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.  

• In the new window, go to the Visual Effects and select Adjust for best performance. 

• click Apply and ok...this should do the trick. 

If the issue persists, The best way to resolve the issue is to follow the suggestions of the HP Guided Troubleshooter:  

Click here to access it (simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern). 

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS. 
(by the end of this document, all the issues should be resolved) 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

The last time it worked fine was on 28 Jun 2020 2 days after I bought it and then it started slowing down so I checked the memory consumption of the  laptop and it was 52% at idle  and when I would run a game called  NUE it  lagged and when I open browser ( Microsoft edge it lagged when opening more than 10 tab 

Which for me  it should work fine considering the laptops specs  I also have a norton antivirus which consumes like 114 mb of memory at idle is that normal?

I don't know I don't know these type of things I just that it lags that's all

And sorry for the late reply  my exams were going on

HP Recommended

@Vaibhav31

Thank you for the information.

Try updating the computer, this will install the latest updates -

Step 1 Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type, and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Step 2 Install updates using HP Support Assistant

1. In the search box, type, and open HP Support Assistant. 
  2. Check for updates. 
  3. If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.  

Note: If you do not have HP Support Assistant installed, Click here to download the same.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

I already did these things  and I downloaded another game to see if it lags again and it did i was playing at low graphics I think there's some problem with the memory .what should I do it's very irritating 

HP Recommended

@Vaibhav31 If you've done everything listed in this article: click here to verify, we may need to run a hardware test to identify the issue, and resolve it accordingly:

Install the latest version of the HP Hardware diagnostics (UEFI) on your device using this link: Click here for details

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  • On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
  • Click Extensive Test.
  • Click Run once, or Loop until error.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Vaibhav31,

In my experience you never should use the preinstalled system of the manufacturer on any laptop or PC, as it is full of bloatware and modifications which cause those problems you mention.

You also should never use Norton software because it always slows down your computer to very inacceptable state.

You won't need an antivirus these days if you don't plan to surf on dangerous/unknown websites or know what you are doing online.

Windows 10  delivers Windows Defender which is way better than before older Windows Systems and will protect you from most malicious software. You just need to use ublock origin in your browser as addon/plugin and scan your system regulary with superantispyware (always free) and malwarebytes (trial period, then you can uninstall, delete all folders in C:\Programfiles, C:\ProgrammData and reinstall for new test phase). 

If you know how to cleanly install Windows 10 I would highly recommend that. If not, maybe a good friend or experienced IT guy could do this for you, using O&O Shutup 10 after installing all necessary drivers and BEFORE connecting for the first time to the internet so Micrsoft can't force you to use an online account instead of a local one.

It's kind of much to do but after you get a freshly installed OS with the newest drivers it should run better than when you got it from the seller/manufacturer. 

With all of this I want to say that searching for the problem on the pre installed OS (also with Norton crapware) will take way longer then a clean installation with all necessary drivers (e.g. Chipset-, SATA-,  Graphics-, WLAN-, LAN-, FunctionKey/WirelessButton -drivers. ETC. ) without HP bloeatware e.g. Jumpstart, Documentaion Support Assistant or Coolsense.

HP Recommended

I agree with Thunder...

Remove Norton that is part of the issue, Microsoft provides enough protection.

Then goto settings and remove all software that is "trial" or that you will not use. The size of a program sitting on your drive does not matter, its the resources it uses once running. Keep in mind Norton is scanning your system ALL the time.

Once in settings go into Apps and turn off EVERYTHING except drivers running in the background., turn off all startup items except for drivers.  An out of the box OEM system is crammed with junkware. OEM companies are in contracted agreements with software providers to preinstall junkware to encourage customers to purchase it. So if you do not intend to use it delete it. Also are the games you download from trustworthy sites? And in the TOS agreement did you notice any wording that says "Third Party...." and agreement with the phrase "Third Party" is usually spyware.

If the games are online and you have a slow Internet connection that has to be taken into consideration as well.

HP Recommended

You can fix a slow laptop by conducting normal maintenance on your machine, such as freeing up hard drive space and running the Windows hard drive utilities [content removed]. You can also prevent unneeded programs from launching when your laptop starts and add more RAM memory to increase performance [content removed]

HP Recommended

Since most laptops come with SSD's now installed programs that sit on the hard drive do not affect the speed of the computer. A carry over of platter spin drives is the thinking that having something installed slows the system. In the days of platter disc drives the system used FAT or NTFS as the address file to then go to that place on the HDD to find the program so that did take a few milliseconds, maybe even a Plank. However with SSD or Solid State Drives that issue no longer exist. Programs are stored in cells much like a spreadsheet and the NTFS takes a few Planks too short of time for a human to notice. So I do not suggest removing programs to speed up a computer if your using a SSD.

As to RAM, it depends. Most off the shelf OEM laptops take about 8GB and even Intel has moved to dedicated video in some of its units. So for normal use 6GB to 8GB is more than a person will access. If you have an older laptop do your research before buying more RAM most older laptops topped out at 4GB of shared RAM. Some went as high as 6 and older RAM can be more money then the speed. Since in this case we are speaking of a newer laptop if it has less than 6GB bringing it up to 6 or 8 if affordable is advisable. 

Please avoid using 3rd party programs to clean your computer. In the past there was a good one that was awesome but was bought recently and has turned into adware. Microsoft built some really great cleaners into Windows 10. From Settings got to System>Storage and set up Storage Sense, you can personalize it to your own use and even run it on it's own.

Also from All Programs>Windows Administrative Tools>Disc Cleanup This tool will remove the Internet and Cache files. But even from the browser you can run "Delete History" it is also each to remove Windows Search history.

Most of these things will not improve speed, but are wise to do at least once a week to keep things running good. Browsers can also be set to clean on close.

In the past before Microsoft took an interest in keeping Windows clean, 3rd party programs were fine. However today the are no longer needed and pose a greater risk to the health of a system.

Again I refer to my earlier statement, downloaded games from the Internet are inherently a risk. READ the agreement and if it says 3rd party anything they be aware it has spyware. When installing programs do it slowly, READ the screens because in many cases a primary company makes money by attaching 3rd party programs that most uses just click "NEXT" and never realize that THEY have done.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.