Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 15 - ax243dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, 

I am currently attempting to add a m.2 SSD to my omen laptop. I also recently added an 8gb stick of RAM (total of 16). Every time I install the SSD I end up in a boot loop. So I bought a SATA to USB for my m.2 so I can clone my internal hard drive. I was able to clone my hard drive and as soon as I install the m.2 it was unable to find boot device. I also took out the original HDD. I then attempted to reboot it with both drives and it gave me a blue screen again. I just ended up removing the m.2 ssd and leaving my original hard drive. It works normally but I’m still eager to install an SSD. 

I also couldn’t find how to make my system choose which boot device to boot up from. I could really use some help. 

I have no solutions for this issue. Should I get a 2.5 inch SATA SSD now or is there something I am overlooking. Please help. 

The m.2 ssd I bought is a crucial P5 

Thank You! 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

The service manual indicates that a M.2 NVMe SSD is supported.

See if this works...make a plain W10 installer using the media creation tool from the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

Temporarily disconnect the 2.5" drive and see if you can install W10 on the NVMe drive and if Windows will run normally.

If so then you will have to remove windows from the 2.5" drive or the notebook will always want to boot from it, or you can just leave the drive disconnected.

After W10 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

OMEN by HP 15-ax243dx Laptop PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

You can also use the HP cloud recovery tool to make a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use that utilty.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7) | HP® Customer Support

You will also need to have the 2.5" drive disconnected to use the cloud recovery tool or it will most likely reinstall W10 on the 2.5" drive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.