Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Photoray002 my operation system is the : Windows 10 home 64bit (1903. 18362.418).

I have the nvidia 1660Ti and the driver when the problem started was 431.70, now I have the 436.48 version but the problem still remains.

I am giving you my system info (my updates are presented on the Hotfix(s) section)

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18362.418]

(c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>systeminfo.exe

Host Name:                 LAPTOP-81VSFCBJ

OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows 10 Home

OS Version:                10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362

OS Manufacturer:           Microsoft Corporation

OS Configuration:          Standalone Workstation

OS Build Type:             Multiprocessor Free

Registered Owner:          user

Registered Organization:   HP

Product ID:                00325-81390-20700-AAOEM

Original Install Date:     10/10/2019, 18:51:03

System Boot Time:          12/10/2019, 15:36:53

System Manufacturer:       HP

System Model:              OMEN by HP Laptop 17-cb0xxx

System Type:               x64-based PC

Processor(s):              1 Processor(s) Installed.

[01]: Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 10 GenuineIntel ~2592 Mhz

BIOS Version:              AMI F.16, 05/09/2019

Windows Directory:         C:\WINDOWS

System Directory:          C:\WINDOWS\system32

Boot Device:               \Device\HarddiskVolume2

System Locale:             el;Greek

Input Locale:              el;Greek

Time Zone:                 (UTC+02:00) Athens, Bucharest

Total Physical Memory:     16,258 MB

Available Physical Memory: 10,840 MB

Virtual Memory: Max Size:  19,202 MB

Virtual Memory: Available: 11,873 MB

Virtual Memory: In Use:    7,329 MB

Page File Location(s):     C:\pagefile.sys

Domain:                    WORKGROUP

Logon Server:              \\LAPTOP-81VSFCBJ

Hotfix(s):                 5 Hotfix(s) Installed.

[01]: KB4515871

[02]: KB4516115

[03]: KB4521863

[04]: KB4501374

[05]: KB4517389

Network Card(s):           3 NIC(s) Installed.

[01]: Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9560 160MHz

Connection Name: Wi-Fi

DHCP Enabled:    Yes                             

[02]: Realtek Gaming GbE Family Controller

Connection Name: Ethernet

[03]: Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)

Connection Name: Σύνδεση δικτύου Bluetooth

Hyper-V Requirements:      VM Monitor Mode Extensions: Yes

Virtualization Enabled In Firmware: Yes

Second Level Address Translation: Yes

Data Execution Prevention Available: Yes

HP Recommended

Hello ,

I have the same issue .

I tried to update firmware to version F.16 Rev.A and problem started ....

Immediately after the update my screen dimmed...very low light .

I have to close laptop screen and open it again if i want to work with a normal brightness .

Any idea about new firmware ?

Thank you

HP Recommended

@adminakos You may want to turn off the adaptive brightness and night mode, using the below steps to resolve this issue:

1. Go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options, then click on "Change plan settings" next to your active power plan.
  2. Click on "Change advanced power settings."
  3. Scroll down to Display, then under Enable adaptive brightness, switch it off for both the battery and plugged in modes.

Night mode:

1. Open the Start Menu.

2. Click on the gear icon

3. Choose System

4. Select Display.

5. Toggle the Night light switch to Off. 

6. Click Night light settings to adjust the level of blue displayed,
or determine the time for Night Light to activate automatically. 

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Riddle ,

I fixed the issue with Bios --> activate legacy mode .

Now everything is fine inside Windows 10 OS but bios still Dark (extremely low brightness)

Do you have any news about new firmware ?

Thank you

HP Recommended

@adminakos I'm afraid there are no firmware updates as such as of now, have you tried turning off the adaptive brightness and night mode, to fix the low brightness issues? keep us posted once your done with the steps.

If that doesn't help, you could recover the last known good working BIOS: Click here for steps.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

hi there Riddle,

thank you for keeping up with our problem. But as Cyberkos and myself mentioned above by reverting Bios (to any previous versions as I ve checked them) is not solving the issue. What do you mean with last known bios, btw? Bios f16a is still on official site and laptop is in delivery's condition except bios new version that HP proposes.

Also previously mentioned that it is UEFI problem, not standard Bios. I m sorry that I cannot accept as solution what you proposed (carrying an HP badge) as Cyberkos' solutions worked far too early than engineer's ones.

In addition I really hope that HP is working on a new bios update. No contact from any HP representative (not sure if you are one or you are just helping us out for your own reasons) so far. It is a faulty machine since I can t access bios features (impossible to see what I m doing with such brightness) and warranty seems not to covering it. Whose fault is this?

HP Recommended

Hi @NGKR

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

thank you Asmita (i guess Riddle has contacted you and i thank him for that) although i have already brought my case to my retailer and there is a case in HP Greece. I will be waiting for  HP tech team's respond and will be as helpful and cooperative as possible in order to solve this issue

HP Recommended

Problem remains. UEFI features are impossible to be managed due to extremely low brighteness. My HP support assistants have closed the case with no solution for that

HP Recommended

I hate to say this guys, but HPs become notorious for making firmware changes and breaking stuff on their products then abandoning customers and never resolving the problems they created. I'd return your laptop as a warranty failure rather than dealing with it in these forums. All you'll get here is the run-around until they tell you your product is no longer supported. The chain to the engineers is broken and has been for a long time.

Good luck and sorry you guys are dealing with this!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.