Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion Gaming Laptop 16-a0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hello!  I recently purchased my lap top on December26 2020 and I cannot get the sound to work at all.  The speaker has a red X next to it and there is no option to select a sound device.  I have run all diagnostics and it comes back that there is no audio device detected.   Under Manage Sound Devices no Output or Input devices are listed at all.    Under Sound the NVIDIA Output shows as "Not Plugged In"  

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the device in the device manager.  I've tried disabling and re-enabling the devices.  I've updated software, but nothing works.    I don't know what else to do.  I have scoured the internet and tried every suggestion I can find.  

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@AmyPass 

Please perform a clean install Audio software/driver, this should help.

(a) Download the following driver (Nov 17, 2020) and save on your computer,
              https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp111001-111500/sp111132.exe

(b) Go to Device Manager, Sound to uninstall sound driver (Realtek) and reboot,
   (c) Right click downloaded file and select Run as administrator,
   (d) Reboot again.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.