Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Victus by HP 15.6 inch Gaming Laptop 15-fa0000 (599K3AV)

After having to reinstall Windows 11 on my Victus laptop (due to corrupt Windows file that were beyond repair) I can't seem to get the audio to work.  I did a Windows Troubleshoot, a Scan for Hardware Changes, Update Driver, etc. but nothing is working.  Would someone have a suggestion?

30 REPLIES 30
HP Recommended

I suggest that you use the HP cloud recovery tool to reinstall W11 if the audio driver on the support page doesn't work.

The HP cloud recovery tool will create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall Windows, the drivers and the software that originally came the PC.

Here is an info link for how to use the utility.  You will need a 32 GB USB flash drive to create the recovery media with.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool in Windows 11 and 10 | HP® Customer Support

You can download the software from the Microsoft Store.

HP Cloud Recovery Tool - Microsoft Store Apps

HP Recommended

I did use the HP cloud recovery tool to reinstall Windows 11, Paul_Tikkanen . . .it was one I had used a few months ago (after installing a new SSD) and it worked perfect back then.   I had kept the flash drive it created back then and I simply used it again.   It worked perfect this time too except for the sound.  I am clueless.  

HP Recommended

I assume you tried both audio drivers on the support page?

If so, unfortunately, that makes me clueless as well.

I checked the support page for the newer HP 15-fa1000 model series and only the latest audio driver is available that is on your notebook's support page.

HP Recommended

I found this HP document for audio troubleshooting.

HP PCs - No sound from speakers | HP® Support

If you have not tried any of the suggestions listed in the document, you may want see if any of those steps work.

The steps may also work on W11 as well.

HP Recommended

Well, I had not seen that HP document for audio troubleshooting, Paul_Tikkanen.  It didn't work but I left feedback.  Thank you!  

Now, something different happened.  This is beyond stressful!  After a reboot I got a checksum error.  It was late and I was really tired, and I stupidly never thought of noting the actual error message. AUGH!  It said something was incorrect (I think) and something like restarting might correct the problem, so I chose to restart.  And it rebooted just fine.  But then later I noticed the time had changed to a different time zone.  It was the correct time but two hours behind my time.  So now I am wondering about the CMOS battery.  Could these symptoms possibly indicate the CMOS battery needs replacing?  And if it does, would you know which CMOS battery I need for the Victus laptop?  Or, could it possibly mean I need to do a BIOS update?  

HP Recommended

Well, the time on the Victus laptop has not changed again.  And I've rebooted several times without a checksum error, thankfully, so I am HOPING there's not a major problem in the BIOS area.  Fingers crossed! 

Just wondering, Paul_Tikkanen, in your opinion. . .do you think my only hope of possibly getting the sound back is to re-download the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (since the one I used is from July 2023) and use it to re-install Windows 11 again?  I'm assuming there would be no guarantee it would work though.  🙁

HP Recommended

The notebook does not have a CMOS battery.

The main battery also serves as the CMOS battery.

If the audio hardware is OK, the cloud recovery tool is the only thing I can think of that may get the sound to work again, since HP's troubleshooting steps didn't work.

Plug in a pair of headphones or external speakers.

If the sound works, there may be something wrong with the speakers.

Check to make sure the speakers are the default output device in the windows control panel.

If you have checked that all out, perhaps the internal speakers have gotten disconnected internally somehow.

I don't know how that all works, but the service manual has a procedure to remove and replace the speakers.

pdf_5957172_en-US-1.pdf (hp.com)

HP Recommended

You are always so professional and so extremely helpful,  Paul_Tikkanen.  THANK YOU!  I attached external speakers and those did work.  I disconnected internal speakers, even though they appeared very securely attached, and then reconnected them. . .but that accomplished nothing.  I verified those are set as the default.  And Windows continues to say they are working fine.  Your thoughts now, Paul_Tikkanen?  Should I just try the latest HP Cloud Recovery again?  

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

Yes, at this point I don't see that you have any other option but to try the HP Cloud Recovery tool to make a bootable USB recovery drive, and hope that restores the sound.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.