Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 15-ax033dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi and thanks in advance for any help. I'm looking for confirmation on the maximum amount of RAM I can upgrade to on this model.

Everything I have seen online says 16 GIGS max. However, one of the RAM companies scanners that I used says I can go up to 32 GIGS. If anyone has been successful at 32 GIGS, I'd definitely like to know about it before I make a purchase. No doubt, I'd like to be at 32 GIGS, but I'm ok at 16 if that is the max.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@SheltieDad

Then I would stick to what your manual says. "16GB max"

Your processors memory bus can handle 64GB but I think that is intended for desktops and laptops with more than 2 memory slots.

REO

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@SheltieDad

Your manual says this.

Supports up to 16 GB max system memory

4096 MB (4096 MB x 1)

6144 MB (2048 MB x 1 + 4096MB x 1), no support for 32-bit OS

8192 MB (4096 MB x 2), no support for 32-bit OS

8192 MB (8192 MB x 1), no support for 32-bit OS

12288 MB (8192 MB +4096 MB), no support for 32-bit OS and Win7 Home Basic

16384 MB (8192 MB x 2), no support for 32-bit OS and Win7 Home Basic

Your manual here.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05217169

What CPU do you have installed???

REO

HP Recommended

processor is i7-6700HQ @ 2,60 ghz.....I'm pretty might right out of the box with this thing right now....

HP Recommended

@SheltieDad

This is for your processor.

Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type)64 GB
Memory TypesDDR4-2133, LPDDR3-1866, DDR3L-1600

But you are running a 32bit OS and 4GB is the max you can use.

REO

HP Recommended

OOOOOPS.....i thought I clicked Win 10-64bit...That's what I am running, not 32bit....

HP Recommended

@SheltieDad

Then I would stick to what your manual says. "16GB max"

Your processors memory bus can handle 64GB but I think that is intended for desktops and laptops with more than 2 memory slots.

REO

HP Recommended

One last thing, I've been reading a lot about this particular upgrade as it is totally different than anything I have ever messed with. I read a comment somewhere that the pre-installed RAM on this model is soldered into place and is not removable. Is this the case?

I'd really prefer not to mess with something that is soldered to the board...So should I get a matched 2X8 kit or just a single 8 GIG stick? Also, there is there any reason to be concerned about having a generic stick paired up with something like a Ripjaws stick?

Thanks for any replies....

HP Recommended

@SheltieDad

The memory is not soldered.

You just have allot of screws to remove.

Start on page 37.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05217169

REO

HP Recommended

20170123_180538-01.jpeg I was able to install 32 GB with no issues. It has been stable with intense gaming for several weeks now. I also run VMs on it with no problems.

HP Recommended
Hello, I was thinking about upgrading my ram and was wondering what sticks you got?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.