Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 15 (15-ek0xxx)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi!

I've got an OMEN 15 (15-ek0xxx) three months ago and recently I noticed an issue with the "R" key. 

The key is faulty, it works inconstantly (it stops working and starts suddenly), for example, while I am writing this text some words that contain "R" are typed correctly and sometimes it is not.

When I am playing, the key stops for a longer period. I need to push it and keep pressing till it works.

I've seen a few posts with the same problem (but different keys and different OMEN model) but none of them with a real solution.

It doesn't seem to be a hardware issue, since the key works if I keep it pressed (without tapping many times) and according to the other posts too.

What should I do??

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi@erickcabral, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Did you check if the issue occurs on an external keyboard?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

I recommend you attempt the below steps to identify the cause of the failure and resolve it accordingly:

Update the BIOS 

• Try changing the keyboard layout/language and check if it works: Click here for steps.
  • Clean the keyboard with compressed air (blow compressed air in the gaps between keys). This removes some lint and dust. 
  • Shut down the laptop, remove the battery and cable for a moment, press and hold the start button for 60 seconds
  • Replace the battery, restart the notebook,
  • if the issue persists, perform an interactive hardware test on the keyboard using the steps mentioned on this link: Click here (look under "Running Component Tests > Keyboard test").

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Hi.. 

I have done all of this already.. 

my bios is the latest version.

I tried other layout too..

I keep the laptop extremely clean and I am very sure there's nothing in the gap. 

I did the hardware keyboard component test also and as I said the key is working inconstant. 

I noticed a kind of "crack" noise recently when pressing the key (sometimes the same noise happens when pressing other keys) ... Yesterday it popped out and I notice a small piece of plastic on the keyboard. Now the key is loosen and it's hinge is broken. 

I don't know if it was the problem, the key is working better know (less faulty), but it is broken... 

I am very upset about it.. 

PS. I had to claim the warranty to get both fixed, the faulty key and the broken hinge 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.