Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 15 Dc-0018no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Does my omen have another slot for another ssd or do i have to replace it since its only 256gb i want to make it 500-1tb 

and if i change it would it distort any files?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @AJmas00 

Your system only has one M.2 slot. But you also have SATA HDD capability. You could upgrade the M.2 drive or you could also install a 2.5 inch traditional HDD or SATA SSD to run as storage. But if yours did not come with the HDD already installed, you would probably have to also buy the bracket and harness to fit it.

Hard drive cable connector  929450-001

Hard drive brackets  929561-001

You would most likely have to order them via the HP Parts Surfer... http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06219881

Your manual... http://partsurfer.hp.com/search.aspx

HP Recommended

I am thinking of buying a m.2 1tb ssd and replacing my 256gb one, how do i get my os back and the omen command center, since if i replace my ssd it will be gone

HP Recommended

If you only want to replace the existing SSD, that's fine too. Best thing for reinstalling Windows is to use the MS Media Creation Tool.

From any Windows 10 computer, download the MS Media Creation Tool and run it with the USB drive connected... Create media Windows 10 

When prompted, accept the Terms and Agreements.

Next, choose Create installation media.

MS TOOL 01.JPG

Next, uncheck the box for Use recommended. Make sure the Language is correct and the Edition is Windows 10, 64-bit.

MS TOOL 02.JPG

Next, choose USB flash drive.

MS TOOL 03.JPG

Your USB drive should show in the list. If so, click Next.

MS TOOL 04.JPG

Windows will begin downloading the files and create the installer . This will take a while.

When its done, you will see a message stating that its ready. Click the Finish button.

To install Windows to the OMEN...

1. Make sure the laptop is plugged in to the Power Cord.
  2. Insert the USB installer you just made.
  3. Press the power button and begin rapidly tapping the ESC key for the Options menu.
  4. Choose the F9 key for Boot Device Options.
  5. You should see your USB drive in the list. You will probably see it listed two times. Choose the one with UEFI in the title.
    TIP: If it is having issues with the UEFI version, choose the non UEFI USB version. IF its not showing at all in the list, you will have to go into the bios (F10 at reboot) and turn off Secure Boot and enable Legacy mode, but this most likely wont happen.
  6. A blue screen should open with the install options. Make sure the options are correct for Language, keyboard, etc.
  7. Click Next and then click Install Now.
  8. Accept the License Terms and click Next.
  9. Choose CUSTOM, then click on each Drive item to highlight it and Delete them. Do this for all of them. Then click Next.

Let Windows do its thing and install Windows. When its finished, it will prompt you to create your account and add your WiFi information. Go ahead and set it up. When Windows connects to the internet, it will automatically activate itself.

Go to Windows Updates and click the Check for Updates button and make Windows run any updates that it needs.

To get the Omen Command Center (OCC), install it from this link... Get OMEN Command Center - Microsoft Store 

Then install these also...

OMEN Command Center SDK Package... sp98588.exe

HP System Event Utility... https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9p4w8rfn9m2t

Then go to Windows Updates again and click on the Check for Updates button, even if it shows its up to date.

When it installs what it needs again, reboot. The OCC should function as it should now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.