Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 15t-dh000 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

New HP OMEN owner here. I just received the laptop and booted it up. Prior to installing the Windows updates, my Red 1-zone backlit keyboard would illuminate. After I installed WIndows updates, the keyboard no longer illuminated. I found out that I had to press FN+F4 to turn the red backlight back on. That is when I was concerned something was wrong. I could have sworn that it turned off after a period of inactivity (I could be wrong). It does seem strange it doesn’t auto  turn off like other laptops. I checked the OMEN Command Center and I don't have a lighting setting in there. All I have is System VItals, Network Booster and Performance Control. I found numerous threads (different models) that say if you are missing options that you need to re-install OMEN Command Center (didn't work for some people) and then other threads that say not all models have a lighting setting in the OMEN Command Center. I did uninstall OMEN Command Center and then reinstalled from the Microsoft Store, but no differences.

1. Am I missing features in OMEN Command Center? The HP OMEN knowledge base article doesn't even list my product series. Why is my product series that I just bought not in the list???
  2. Should my laptop model have "some" lighting features in OMEN Command Center? I realize I don't have a 4-zone keyboard, but shouldn’t I at the very least be able to adjust the brightness? Is this controlled somewhere else perhaps???
  3. Should the backlit keyboard dim or turn off after a period of inactivity??? Is this controlled somewhere else outside of OMEN Command Center?
  4. Is there anyone in this community that has the same product series number as me?
6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Maxtune 

It is a bit tricky because your machine is a CTO machine therefore please check HPSA first to see REAL model/product number of your machine.

2. That't true, not all models/products have Lighting option, only machines with 4-zone colors keyboard has this option

light colors.png

3. It is controlled from BIOS.

4. As mentioned before, it is a CTO machine therefore the number is limited therefore not many people have same specs of your machine.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

What does CTO mean? 

HP Recommended

@Maxtune wrote:

What does CTO mean? 

CTO means Configure To Order.  That means from time to time HP gives a list of options and customers can select a combination of options to order.

Some leftover CTO machines or customers cancelled the orders may be around for other customers.

Regards.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@banhien wrote:

@Maxtune 

It is a bit tricky because your machine is a CTO machine therefore please check HPSA first to see REAL model/product number of your machine.

I checked HP Support Assistant and it shows "OMEN by HP 15t-dh000 CTO" and Product number "5VX94AV" - does this help identify what product series I really have?

HP Recommended

@Maxtune 

The following link shows a list of parts which were available at the order time for 5VX94AV product

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=5VX94AV

and the series is

OMEN BY HP 15T-DH000 CTO

As you can see there are many options and your machine should have a combination of available options for example under Drive section, your machine should have 1 option on the list.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

There is nothing in my BIOS that mentions backlit keyboard timeout settings. It also appears that OMEN Control Center only supports 4-zone keyboards.

I guess this means this HP OMEN laptop "Configured To Order" in 2019 does NOT have any lighting control features beyond OFF and ON and there is no ability to decrease brightness or have it automatically turn OFF after a period of inactivity. This is extremely disappointing as my older Dell laptop from 6 years ago has backlit keyboard settings and it automatically turns off after a period of inactivity.

This is probably a very small issue for most, but taken with some other concerns I have with the laptop (HPSA trying to install old drivers, high thermals), I am not a happy customer. I think I should have spent more time researching HP laptops.

Thanks for at least responding to this thread.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.