Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Laptop 15-dc0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi! So, For the past few months, my computer is having frame drops whenever playing games (specifically Fortnite). When I first had my computer (Nov.2018), there were no frame drops and I could easily play in 4k with 60 frames (my computer is 60hz) and get up to 180 frames on max settings on 1080p. Now, I can still play in 4k and 1080p, but I am getting so many frame drops. It goes from 200 frames to 12 in a matter of one second and then goes back up after 10 seconds, and then goes back down. I do not experience these issues when playing in 720p as often but I am curious as to why my computer's performance has been downgraded like this. one thing I would like to mention is that it is on all day and I charge it even when it is 100% for the whole day 24/7, so I started to stop trying to do that, and I updated my drivers. If anyone can help with this please let me know, thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

After all updates are done, go into the Omen Command Center and make sure your power plan is not set to Comfort. If it shows Performance Mode, choose that.

Go into the Nvidia Control Panel and set the Graphics card to Power Management>Prefer Maximum Performance.

You can do this for the individual game, or set it as a Global Setting.

Manage 3D Settings Nvidia.JPG

View solution in original post

44 REPLIES 44
HP Recommended

@SicoHa 

To help me understand better, are you saying you are playing on battery only when the drops occur?

HP Recommended

hi. No, I plug my laptop in 24/7 - my frame drops occur even when playing on a charger - without a charger my computer caps my frames to 30 FPS 

HP Recommended

OK so it drops for 10 secs every so many minutes?

Sounds like you have a service or program running in the background eating CPU when the drops occur.

Could be an antivirus at work, updates or something else. Did you install anything at that time that could be the culprit?

The first thing I would try is to open the Task Manager and watch the cpu column when the drops occur. Highlight the cpu column to make it show highest to lowest percentages when you do. Then you can disable the service that starts up when you identify it.

Let me know what you find.

HP Recommended

hi - I actually get frame drops almost every day if not playing on 720P - when playing on higher resolution the frame drops problems occur where I have 200 frames and goes down to 10 and then goes back up after a few seconds. I will check task manager and update you in a few hours, thank you.

HP Recommended

You dont need to bold text me dude. I read all that the first time. I'm still asking you to check the task manager. Your symptoms are usually caused by another program running while gaming. Thank you.

HP Recommended

Sorry, I’m new to this website, I had no idea I was using bold text - I’ll check task manager right now

HP Recommended

So - Fortnite was the only app running in task manager besides the background processes which took up less than 1% of CPU and memory. I shut down my computer today which is something I normally do not do as I leave it on 24/7 in the charging most of the time - and it seemed to go back to its old self. It could handle 1080p max settings easily like it used to and handle 4k medium settings. Does not shutting down your computer and leaving it on 24/7 cause this?

HP Recommended

I never leave my machines on 24/7 unless it was a business machine connected to a server and needed for remote access.

Yours might have had an update stuck waiting for it to finalize with a reboot or something similar.

My rule of thumb with charging is: I run it plugged in (even if its charged 100%) and when I'm done, turn it off and unplug the cord. Even though it wont technically hurt anything to leave it in, Its a safety practice in case a fault occurred

Glad its  working now.

HP Recommended

It only went back to its old self this morning - I think it is getting tired out easily - because now I am getting 20 frames for some time in 720p.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.