Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 17" Screen
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Well I'm frustrated as my OMEN has now developed a strange issues with the charging.

I plug in and switch on the adapter and the LED goes red like it should when charging, but then turns white even though it is not 100% (currently 82%)... and without doing anything it goes red again and starts to charge... then about 2 minutes later goes white and stops charging.

It appears to only be doing this when it reaches around 82% - does that indicate a battery issue?

I did a Battery check and this morning it stated "Failed" and that there was a short or blown fuse and I should replace the battery.

Then another check tonight indicates all okay with both the adapter and battery - although it is still doing the same charge / not charging status.

Anyone know why this is?  Could it be the adapter (which I doubt as my partners HP Pavillion charger is virtually the same and it does the same when i use it) or possibly the battery?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Can any of the HP Tech people help me with this at all?

HP Recommended

@DangerousDave1

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help,
I understand that your HP notebook battery failed, as we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

No I'm not sure what the issue is.

When charging it only goes up to about 86% then the red light when charging goes white and so does not charge up to 100%.

I have checked the BIOS and the battery saver is on 100% so should charge to 100%.

Really want to know what causes this and is it possibly a battery issue?  Don't want to buy a new battery then find the same thing happening.

I have tried another adapter and it does the same with that so it is not an adapter charger issue.

Dave

HP Recommended

@DangerousDave1

Thank you for posting back. 

Let's try these steps to resolve the issue: 

• 1. Go to Start, search for Device Manager, and open this result.
  • 2. Expand batteries.
  • 3. Right-click on the ACPI option (usually the 2nd option) and select delete or uninstall. Follow the prompts.
  • 4. Shut down the computer. 
  • 5. Disconnect the charger.
  • 6. Remove the battery. (only for removable battery)
  • 7. Hold down the power button for 1 minute.
  • 8. Insert the battery only. (only for removable battery)
  • 9. Attempt to turn the battery on.

If the issue persists, I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Non-removable battery.

After trying both battery testers it does appear it is the battery aging.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.