Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 17-an108nc
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have been experiencing serious FPS drops while gaming. XTU showed me that processor is power throttling. It happens after few seconds of heavy load. Temp is OK. Everything is up to date including bios (version F.10 Rev.A).  

I don't understand that notebook can't utilize full potential of CPU. Is it possible to increase power limits?

Thanks

Specs:

Intel Core i7-8750H

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

Intel HM370

4KB01EA

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I fiddled with ThrottleStop too. TS bench (built-in benchmark) shows that frequencies are lowered  to roughly 3200 MHz (multiplier 32) after few seconds because of power throttling. Concerning with performance, I have got something worse than i7 7700hq 😞 

HP Recommended

@Bigy123

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Firstly, perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant: (do not skip any troubleshooting steps if you feel steps are repeating) 

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

And, also run BIOS Update: Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Echo_Lake,

thank you for the answer, but everything is up to date.

Bigy123

HP Recommended

@Bigy123

Thank you for posting back. 

Are you getting any error message such cooling fan or system fan error?

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.