Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 17-cb0006na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm having problems with my video card/driver. It's an Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070

The device manager is showing a fault/issue (the little yellow triangle with exclamation mark) with a System Device: the Intel(R) PCIe controller (x16) - 1901.

The status shows:

'Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)'

I've tried to download the current driver from the HP website, however it did not complete with a Warning message saying 'The driver is not supported on this OS version (10.0.18363)'.

I recently installed the Windows 10 1909 feature update thinking that this would fix the issue with no luck - it was happening under 1903 too.

The Device manager has the Display Adapter hidden when it opens; when I unhide it and check the properties the status is listed as:

'Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer'.

I have run the HP hardware diagnostics utility on the video component and the video memory fast check comes back as 'Cancelled'. Will the extended test show up anything more enlightening?

It looks to me like the graphics card has failed but I would appreciate some advice before I need to pack it back to HP.

Many thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Matt-J
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help,  I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Firstly, perform Hard Reset: Follow steps from the link: https://hp.care/2GnkMa8. (do not skip any troubleshooting steps even if you feel steps are repeating)

BIOS default: 

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer. If the issue persists, follow the next steps

Perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant: (do not skip any troubleshooting steps if you feel steps are repeating) 

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open the HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

And, also run BIOS Update: Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Echo-Lake,

I have run through all the items you have suggested:

Hard reset

Bios Default

Windows Update - this included a number of updates and also the feature update to 1909

HP Support updates (2 included), and

Bios - this was already up to date (19/Dec/19)

This hasn't helped and the display adapter is still not recognised.  I have noticed that the 1909 update has removed the 'sleep' function - not sure if that is related to the display driver issue as some forums suggest updating display drivers to retrieve it.

I look forward to your further thoughts/assistance.

thanks you. Matt

HP Recommended

@Matt-J

Thank you for posting back. 

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. This sounds like the windows operating system related issue.

The last thing I can suggest trying to restore the computer back to the factory settings. Performing an HP system recovery (Windows ) While doing the recovery there is an option to backup your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows )You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Echo_Lake,

I contacted HP cupport via chat yesterday. We explored a system restore, however the only point set was 2 days ago (after the issues began).

I re-installed the NVidia and Inten graphics drivers (didnt' seem to make an appreciable change).

Then using device manager I uninstalled the device in 'system devices' that had an exclamation mark against it - 'Intel(R) PCIe controller (x16) - 1901'.

Then ran a re-start and opened the device manager.

The display adapter was visible again (a good sign) and initially showed 'vga compatible'. After a while the screen flickered and it then showed the GeForce hardware.

I've not had chance to test it with a monitor on the hdmi port (which is what first put me onto the problem) but on checking the advanced display settings  it's back to 144Hz (it had dropped to 65Hz last week) so looks promising.

Looking forward to testing it properly later on this afternoon.

Many thanks to you and Dilip for your support.

Matt

HP Recommended

@Matt-J

Thank you for posting back. 

Work on it as per your convenience and keep me posted on the results.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.