Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming - 15-ec0100ax
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi I have hp pavilion gaming 15-ec0100ax laptop having 2400mhz 8gb ram by default.  What is maximum ram mhz my laptop supports. I have read a review on flipkart that hp pavilion gaming 15-ec0100ax series does not support two 8gb 3200mhz frequency ram; they will automatically under clock to 2666 mhz. I want to upgrade to 2 8gb sticks having 3200 mhz, but if above review is correct then there is no point in upgrading ram if two 3200 mhz stick will run at 2666 mhz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your notebook's processor cannot run the memory at 3200 MHz.

That is why it came with 2400 MHz from the factory.

See chapter 1 of the service manual for the memory upgrade info...

Maintenance and Service Guide HP Pavilion Gaming 15 Laptop PC

DDR4-2400 dual channel support (DDR4-3200 bridge to DDR4-2666, DDR4-2666 downgrade to DDR4-2400)

Specs on the processor...

Ryzen™ 5 3550H Mobile Processor | FreeSync Technology | AMD

System Memory Specification:  Up to 2400MHz

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your notebook's processor cannot run the memory at 3200 MHz.

That is why it came with 2400 MHz from the factory.

See chapter 1 of the service manual for the memory upgrade info...

Maintenance and Service Guide HP Pavilion Gaming 15 Laptop PC

DDR4-2400 dual channel support (DDR4-3200 bridge to DDR4-2666, DDR4-2666 downgrade to DDR4-2400)

Specs on the processor...

Ryzen™ 5 3550H Mobile Processor | FreeSync Technology | AMD

System Memory Specification:  Up to 2400MHz
HP Recommended

Hello @Ashutosh181 

Your HP Pavilion Gaming - 15-ec0100ax comes originally with:

Memory, standard
8 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)

There are restrictions (under clock), see details here:

ub6424_1-1656695727493.png

Please report your results

best regards

---

Dear Community Member, please click the button [ YES ] on "Was this reply helpful?" to say Thanks and

make it easier for other people to find this type of solution by marking the reply ▶️ [ Accept as Solution ] ◀️

Do this on the post I wrote that helped solve it.

Thank you very much

⌨️

HP Recommended

1) So its better to buy ram with 2400mhz frequency as 2666 mhz will underclock to 2400 mhz, right?

2) Will 2400 mhz run at 2400 or it will also under clock to lower frequency like 2666 to 2400??

HP Recommended

It really doesn't matter.

You can buy memory up to 3200 MHz and it will run at 2400 MHz.

Run the free utility that I zipped up and attached below and it will tell you the speed memory that HP installed.

Buy whatever frequency the currently installed memory is if you are just planning to add memory into the empty slot.

DDR4-2400 memory will not run slower than 2400 MHz in your notebook.

HP Recommended

what does this DDR4 3200 mean, i'm getting this on the tool u suggested to townloadUntitled.png

HP Recommended

HP installed a DDR4-3200 memory chip.

Since the memory HP installed is made by Micron, I recommend you buy the 8 GB Crucial memory chip because that is also made by Micron.

Crucial 8GB DDR4-3200 SODIMM | CT8G4SFRA32A | Crucial IN

You have to look at the summary report in that tool I attached, and you will see the memory is running at 1200 MHz.

1200x2 = 2400 MHz.

HP Recommended

what is rank of my default ram in hp pavilion gaming 15-ec0100ax, single or dual. can i use dual rank 8gb with single rank or both should be dual rank sticks

HP Recommended

You can normally mix the single rank and dual rank memory.

Your report indicates the memory HP installed is single rank.

The Crucial memory chip I posted, since they indicate that it is guaranteed to work in your notebook would be the one I recommend.

Otherwise google the part number of the Micron memory HP installed from your report and see if you can buy an identical one.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.