Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Hp omen 15-en1003sf
Microsoft Windows 11

Hello, can someone please help me understand if I can install 2x8gb 2666mhz ram sticks in my new hp omen 15 which came stocked with 2x4gb 3200mhz ram. The laptop has a ryzen 5600h processor with Nvidia rtx 3060 graphics. Looking forward to get any answers and suggestions from the community. Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, it is a shame to waste perfectly good memory, but if it worked, that would be quite a performance degrade.

And there is no saying it would work, because sometimes the processor won't accept a memory bridge that far down.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

The memory might work, but it will slow down your notebook's memory to processor communication speed from 3200 MHz to 2666 MHz.

That is a fairly significant decrease of two clock speeds (3200 to 2933 to 2666).

I wouldn't do it, unless I could not possibly afford the upgrade to 2 x 8 GB of DDR4-3200 memory.

Crucial 8GB DDR4-3200 SODIMM | CT8G4SFRA32A | Crucial EU

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thanks for your detailed reply and I think I'll take your suggestion and get 2x8gb 3200mhz sticks to be on the safe side. I only thought of the previous idea because I had 2x8gb 2666mhz lying around from my old hp pavilion gaming 15 from 2019 which has its screen shattered. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, it is a shame to waste perfectly good memory, but if it worked, that would be quite a performance degrade.

And there is no saying it would work, because sometimes the processor won't accept a memory bridge that far down.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.