Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-EC0098AX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

System Configuration:

• Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3550H, Quad Core, 2.1 GHz with Turbo Boost Upto 3.7 GHz
  • RAM: 8 GB DDR4, 2400 MHz
  • HDD Capacity: 1 TB, 5400RPM
  • Cache: 6 MB
  • Dedicated Graphic Memory Capacity: 3 GB, 
  • Graphic Processor: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050

I recently bought this Gaming Laptop [Pavilion 15-EC0098AX Ryzen 5]  but it is not performing well from the beginning. It takes almost 5 minutes to start. It works too slow to call a Gaming Laptop. Windows is up to date and GPU drivers are also updated. 

Please help me get its speed at par. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @ASHNEO95 

For starters, conventional hard drives are a thing of the past when it comes to your operating system booting from. HP makes certain models at a certain price point, but its really worth it to spend a few bucks more and get an SSD for the boot drive.

Since you already have the old style HDD in place, you could add an M.2 NVMe SSD and install windows to it. Then use the HDD for storage.

Here is your manual... http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06446633

As far as memory goes, it wont help your boot times, but it will help with gaming performance if you use 16GB instead of 8.

You can add an additional stick, just make sure you match the timings of the original stick first. This will help insure it all plays well together and runs in dual channel.

Use a tool like CPUz to check the timings... https://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.92-en.zip

cpuz mem.JPG

If you have other questions, let me know.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @ASHNEO95 

For starters, conventional hard drives are a thing of the past when it comes to your operating system booting from. HP makes certain models at a certain price point, but its really worth it to spend a few bucks more and get an SSD for the boot drive.

Since you already have the old style HDD in place, you could add an M.2 NVMe SSD and install windows to it. Then use the HDD for storage.

Here is your manual... http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06446633

As far as memory goes, it wont help your boot times, but it will help with gaming performance if you use 16GB instead of 8.

You can add an additional stick, just make sure you match the timings of the original stick first. This will help insure it all plays well together and runs in dual channel.

Use a tool like CPUz to check the timings... https://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.92-en.zip

cpuz mem.JPG

If you have other questions, let me know.

HP Recommended

Thanks @Photoray002  for prompt reply. 

You mean my new computer is slow because it has HDD. This does not explain why my old HP notebook with i3 and 8gb RAM performs well with HDD. 

Well, please let me know if there is dedicated SSD slot for this [HP Pavilion 15-EC0098AX].

HP Recommended

@ASHNEO95 wrote:

Thanks @Photoray002  for prompt reply. 

You mean my new computer is slow because it has HDD. This does not explain why my old HP notebook with i3 and 8gb RAM performs well with HDD. 

Well, please let me know if there is dedicated SSD slot for this [HP Pavilion 15-EC0098AX].

So, you gave such a brief explanation of your problem, I can only surmise the issue as I'm not there to see "everything" you see wrong with it. 😉

If you will open your manual I gave and look, page 37 shows the slot next to the battery and ram.

I suggest you open the case and look first just to make sure the slot is installed. It should be there, unless in some rare case the factory didn't solder one in.

HP Recommended

Okay then. I will open up the device and see if it is possible to get a SSD fixed in the slot. But is it assured that my laptop will run smoothly after that?

HP Recommended

It will boot faster and load your games faster. More ram will help with games running more smoothly than with 8 if the game needs the ram. Thats all I can offer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.