Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 16.1 inch Gaming Laptop PC 16-c0000 (2W4Q0AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

I got an HP Omen 16, Windows 11 version 21H2, within the past few weeks. Everything is running fine, but the touchpad is having strange lag. Nothing else is running slow or lagging, but the touchpad will lag or not respond at all with scrolling, clicking, moving the mouse, selecting things, pretty much anything. Sometimes it runs normally, and when the issue starts, the touchpad sometimes runs fine if the mouse is outside the window I have opened (other times it doesn’t work anywhere on the screen.) 

It started happening last week when I had Google Docs open on Edge browser, along with some other tabs. It was running a significant amt of things, so I figured it was normal lag, but afterwards, I closed everything and everything ran fine except the touchpad. It usually starts happening as soon as I open Docs again, and occasionally will happen if I have a large file open or it has been running a lot of programs or running for a long time. 

I have done the component tests (drag and drop, pointer test) and I have also uninstalled and redownloaded the ELAN touchpad filter driver. These seem to fix it temporarily, but it starts again when I do what I previously mentioned. Sometimes a quick restart will also temporarily stop it. Any other ideas to fix it?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

I'm encountering the same issue with the Trackpad. I actually went through 3 Open Box returns because I was having trackpad issues. First issue the trackpad would somewhat work then be all over the place or freeze up and only way to get it back was to turn it off via fn keys. I even wiped windows and did a clean online install and tried to manually update the original drivers to see if it was a driver issue. Next I exchanged it and the new one had a different issue where the trackpad left mouse button gets stuck physically randomly and I couldn't figure out why just like yours.. So I finally was able to return the second one and found another open box one and so far this one is doing better. I did encounter the trackpad being stuck once on this one and now experienced the freezing of the trackpad for the first time. Only change I did was setup the intelligent undervolting, I wonder if that could be a cause. I like everything else about this laptop but I'm hoping this issue can be fixed otherwise I'm not sure if there is anything that compares to the specs at the $1,364 open box excellent price. Not sure if I should just return it and try to find a more expensive laptop that has a simple working touchpad. This is Frustrating.

HP Recommended

@aklawson, @JayJayN

Welcome to the HP Support Community! I'd like to help!

I see you are experiencing issues with the HP OMEN Gaming Laptop PC.  I sincerely apologize for the experience that you had with the product. Going forward, we are going to take steps to ensure that this situation does not happen again. 

I have a few recommendations 

• Update your Notebook computer to latest BIOS from HP.COM.
  • Check with any USB or Wireless Mouse if it works fine. 
  • Make sure the Windows and HP support assistant updates are up to date. 
  • Check if it works fine with Windows 10 if not upgraded to Windows 11. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

I opted to return mine. Trackpad repair seems delayed until mid April. For the price of this laptop, the trackpad issue was too concerning. It's a shame. Hopefully you all have better luck with q repair. 

HP Recommended

@Yanivh,

Thank you for responding, I appreciate your time and effort.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Going forward, we are going to take steps to ensure that this situation does not happen again. 

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

I encounter exactly the same issue: as from a certain moment (especially when playing a game), the touchpad starts to lag severely + left click does not respond. (even when: omen in performance mode; fans at maximum rpm)

Even rebooting doesn't always help.

Fn+F11 (lock touchpad) sometimes works for a while.
I hope this gets fixed soon, because atm it feels indeed like I was better off with my 7-y-old Acer V Nitro...
Happy to provide info/help if HP wants to solve it thouroughly.

HP Recommended

Hi@SV150,

Thank you for responding, I appreciate your time and effort.

It could be a hardware issue and we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now. I would request you to contact our HP Support Engineers and should be able to sort this out. Hence I encourage you to contact HP support for all warranty service options. 

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.