Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen an098nx 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi Every one

Tody I bought Omen an098nx 17 

Core i7 7700HQ

GtX 1070 8 GB

My problem in the high heat of the CPU and GPU
When the device is turned on, the fans start working and the temperature of the CPU reaches 60 degrees and the GPU reaches 50 without opening any application
Is this temperature reasonable or not?
Is there a need to return the device or not?

Capture.JPG

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Hussain-omen, welcome to the forum.

Here are two documents that will tell you what the maximum temperatures are for the CPU and GPU :

CPU:  https://ark.intel.com/products/97185/Intel-Core-i7-7700HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz

See the section titled "Tjunction" for the max temperature.

GPU:  https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-1070/specifications

See the section titled "Thermal and Power Specs".

It appears that the temps you are seeing are fine.  I have recommended that members use a Laptop Cooling Pad to assure that the temperatures remain in the normal area.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Hi @

I know the temps which I am seeing are fine when I open app like photoshop or after effect.

but whwn I did not open any app i think these temps uncceptable.

So if you check for me your hp omen and see its temps how much ?

I am waiting your reply.

Thank you

HP Recommended

Download HWMonitor and run it. It will give  you a real time list of all the various hardware temps and clocks.

OCC only gives you a general overall average temp and it might be reporting inaccurately.

Run the two together and compare them.

Here is my Omen 17 W-series at idle. I was thinking of replacing the TIM to see what changes would happen.

It runs hot during gaming, but my idle temps are not in the 60's.

On Battery Power

Omen HWM temps.JPG

On AC power

Capture.JPG

Its within a couple degrees of each other when on battery or plugged in.

If your system is still showing CPU idle temps in the 60's, look in the Task Manager and see i

f there is something running in the background that is taking up a lot of resourses.

If you can turn that process off, does the temps change?

If there isnt anything running in the background unusually high and the CPU idle temps are too high, contact HP Support and do a warranty claim.

Contact HP Worldwide | HP® Official Site

HP Recommended

Hi @Photoray002

Thank for your reply

I downloaded HWMonitor and run it.

see the attached photo.  On AC power

my system is still showing CPU idle temps in the 60's

and in the Task Manager there is no hing running in the background that is taking up a lot of resourses

003.jpg

HP Recommended

Ya, that idle temp is too high in my opinion.

In the past, a few users have had this issue and they changed the thermal paste, made a big difference.

I dont know if yours is going to be the same fix, but since its new, I would contact HP Support for a warranty issue and simply explain the problem. 

If you just purchased the Omen from a walk-in store this week, you might be able to take it back for an exchange. This would be faster. Otherwise, contact Support.

Contact HP Worldwide | HP® Official Site

HP Recommended

One thing you could try since this is brand new and I assume you dont have a bunch of games installed yet...

Do  system restore back to factory via F11 at startup.

IF you still have high temps, its not software related.

HP Recommended

Hi Photoray002,

I did system restore back to factory via F11 at startup.

I did not install any apps until now.

The temp of the cpu now reach 50s On AC power.''in the Task Manager there is no thing running in the background that is taking up a lot of resourses.''

Is this normal or not ?

Thank you

Waiting your reply.

HP Recommended

IF this is at idle with nothing running, it still seems too high.

Im guessing your thermal paste needs reapplying or something.

I wouldnt do that though, I would contact Support directly.

HP Recommended

Hey there,

I am having the same issue - iddle temps 50-59C and when gaming 15 min on WH2:TW I get to 92-96C.

Yet HP claims its normal - definitely is not and its bad cooling design. Return it and get your money and buy something thats not overheating jokebook by HP.

Or you will be stuck with lying company and they will claim its normal that  you get to 95C within 10 mins.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.