Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Laptop 15-dc0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

On my Omen 15 laptop, my wireless WiFi speeds work fine.

However, when trying to connect an ethernet cable directly to my laptop from my modem, my laptop says it connects successfully with internet access, but it is so slow that I can not load any pages. I have tried many possible fixes, such as flushing my DNS cache, re-installing my ethernet driver on my computer, restarting the gateway, and disabling my firewall, but nothing has worked so far. Windows network status says that I am connected to the internet. The ethernet seems to work well with another laptop, so I do not think it is a modem/cable issue.

For a full list of things I've tried (probably not exhaustive either)...

• Restarting computer
  • Restarting/rebooting gateway
  • Setting TCP/IPv4 properties to automatically obtain IP/DNS server
  • ipconfig /flushdns
  • ipconfig /release
  • ipconfig /renew
  • netsh winsock reset
  • Disable Windows firewall
  • Disable firewall in Cox gateway settings
  • LAN Ethernet link status is active in Cox gateway settings
  • Try different ethernet cables
  • Try both ethernet ports
  • Disabling/re-enabling ethernet network adapter
  • Check/uncheck TCP/IPv6 in ethernet properties
  • Disconnect from wireless network
  • Ran TCP Optimizer
  • Checked hosts file (nothing in there)
  • Get-NetAdapter in PowerShell shows link speed of 1 Gbps
  • Disable/enable "Automatically detect settings" in Windows proxy settings
  • Windows network reset
  • Clear cache in web browser
  • Tried multiple browsers with all extensions disabled
  • Tried booting the computer in Safe Mode with Networking
  • Ran antivirus scan

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@_whw   sounds like you've done everything you can so far and I'm not sure what I can offer.

I'm wondering if the Ethernet connector in the laptop itself is failing? Loose soldering joint, etc.

Have you ran the UEFI Diagnostics Hardware tester to see what it says?

NOTE: If you're still running Windows as it came from factory and haven't reinstalled windows with the MS ISO later, the UEFI tool partition will still be in working.

1. Make sure the power cord is plugged in.
  2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  3. On the main menu, click Component Tests.

The Component Tests menu displays like this...

win-ss-hw-diagnostics-uefi-component-tests-menu.jpg

Three tests are in the Network checker. The Wired Network test checks the network controller.

Does it report any failure?

HP Recommended

Thank you for the suggestion. I ran the test, and it passes without any error.

I ordered a USB to Ethernet adapter, and I will see if I have any luck with that.

HP Recommended

Sounds good. 

I'm guessing you don't have any Image backups of your drive to revert to, prior to this happening?

Would be interesting to see if its software related or not. I'm still thinking hardware.

Keep us updated on your findings if you don't mind. 🤞

HP Recommended

I just purchased a USB to Ethernet adapter and.... same issue. Ping works fine on the command line, but loading up webpages is still very slow. I have updated and reinstalled the latest drivers on my new Ethernet adapter, and it still fails. Not sure what more I can try at this point. The wired connection works fine on another laptop that I tested.

HP Recommended

I assume the internal Ethernet card is staying disabled when using the USB card?

I'm not sure what to suggest either, short of clean reinstalling windows.

If you do end up going that route, you have 2 options.

1.  HP Cloud Recovery Tool (how to use). This will factory reset the whole drive and partitions so your UEFI tools will still work if you want them. Then adds HP drivers and some HP software. 32GB pen drive needed.

2. Microsoft's direct ISO.  I recommend a Custom install and delete all partitions at the begining of install. No HP drivers except what Windows update finds. 8GB pen drive needed.

Out of curiosity, Is the Omen Gaming Hub installed? If so, open it and select your PC in the list.

Go to Network Booster and see if the Mode is turned Off.

If it is, go to Custom and make sure your browser is not blocked or such and is given High priority.

Does anything change when browsing?

You could uninstall the Game Hub also and see if that changes anything.

May or may not work, but worth a shot.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the help and suggestions. Yes, I have disabled all other network adapters besides the one I am using. I have also uninstalled Omen Gaming Hub and restarted my computer, but my issue is still not resolved.

It is quite odd that I can ping **bleep**.com in 8 ms but I am greeted with an infinite loading screen when going to **bleep**.com in my browser. I may try to factory resetting my computer, however, I will wait until I am truly desperate before I go down that route (though I am pretty close to that point).

HP Recommended

Update:

Booted up using Ubuntu on a USB stick, and my problem STILL persisted. So looks like it's not a Windows issue, but perhaps a firewall or a DNS problem? Not sure - I tried disabling my firewall but maybe there's some pesky setting I'm not finding.

HP Recommended

Can you possibly try connecting Ethernet on someone else's  network and see if the same issue persists? Is it possible your router has something going on maybe?

HP Recommended

I tried several other computers today and they all don't work. Even my computer that used to work with it no longer seems to work, so maybe it never worked in the first place (perhaps my test site that I was going to was cached or something). That would point to it being a router problem again. Maybe I will try to see if I can get it replaced or something.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.