3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Worrying Thermal Performance

HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 15-dc1005na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I've been having some increasingly worrying thermal performance from my OMEN laptop over recent weeks. 

Under load:

The main example I have for when it is under load is when I'm playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. Where I used to be getting 90+ fps on medium settings with the CPU temps hovering around 90-95 degrees (I know these temps are regular for my model of laptop), I'm now getting an average of 50-55fps at up to 99 degrees on the lowest graphics settings with the fps sometimes dropping down to under 40fps for a short period of time which makes the game unplayable.

Not under load:

Even when the laptop isn't under load and I'm doing some work the fans are spinning at 80-100% most of the time with temperatures still reaching over 90 degrees with the cpu at 10-12% utilization. 

As mentioned above, I know this model of laptop is renowned for running hot but surely these temperatures are not normal. These temperatures and sudden drops in fps are really beginning to worry me now that the laptop is out of warranty. I have made sure to clean the fans of dust every so often since the warranty has expired as well. 

Does another owner of this model experience the same issues?

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-8750H

GPU: RTX 2060

RAM: 16GB

1 REPLY 1
Level 4
76 75 10 15
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

if you can, try to re-paste the thermal paste... many laptops need a new thermal paste after several years... maybe that can help a bit to reduce the temps...

Sent from OMEN 15 en-0013ax
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation