Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

It might be faster to just do a restore back to factory with the HP  Recovery Media. If you created the HP USB Media, Use that to reinstall Windows with. You will need to back up any data and passwords if you need to first.

If you're blue screening and it wont boot properly, this will be the best way to clear the system and start over.

You can clean install with a microsoft ISO also.

HP Recommended

Yep, restoring as of the moment.

But the problem would likely occur again since it has something to do with windows update right? Do you have any advice on how i can avoid this problem again?

Thanks for the help by the way! Really appreciate it! 👌

HP Recommended

Yeah I might just wait for re release of 1809 ISO,  Let HP drivers possibly be updated prior to re release of 1809 ISOs, right now there paused due to the file deletion bug.     Got this when i stupidly checked for any Windows updates on October 3rd on that system,  got the latest Cumulative patch,  then lost sound it seems

Only system actually had issues on was laptop so far

HP Recommended

Ive had 3 desktops affect so far also.

HP Recommended

It seems that the recent update is causing problems. Read some articles that the update caused loss of documents. Nothing about audio problems though.

HP Recommended

I'm having the same exact problem.. it started this morning after the update 😞

HP Recommended

Have you tried to download a sound driver from hp.com? My computer is doing well after I tried that just now.

HP Recommended

Any of you with this issue using the 1809 upgrade? My understanding is that it was put on hold so I dont think that is the issue.

Another set of users claims that rolling back the driver is working for them. Also removing the latest Windows update.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/Re-No-Audio-Since-Windows-10-Fall-Creators-Update-Probl...

Im hearing roomers that MS is working on an update for this issue. I dont know when it will roll out though. Hopefully soon.

HP Recommended

So apparently, restoring my laptop to factory default didn't fix the issue. still having audio problems as of the moment.

I then tried the link above. I downloaded the driver (sp89052) from hp website. but encountered a problem during installation. 

Capture.PNG

i then i tried to installing it manually via the device manager but i end up with a blue screen.

HP Recommended

I was playing around with troubleshooting steps that other users mentioned, and surprisingly I found one that fixed my issue.

I opened DEVICE MANAGER then went to SYSTMEM DEVICES. Here, one user recommended to update the driver for HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO CONTROLLER but it seemed i didn't have that device. I read another tip that I need to update the drivers for any device that has "SST" on it, so I did. Mine was an "Intel...SST".

double-click it, then a new window opens. choose the DRIVER tab then UPDATE DRIVER,  another window will pop up, choose the HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO CONTROLLER  not the intel driver. The pop ups will then close bringing you back to the device manager.

Now, you can see, under the SYSTMEM DEVICES, the HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO CONTROLLER device. RIGHT-CLICK and choose UPDATE DRIVER > BROWSE MY COMPUTER > LET ME PICK FROM A LIST then choose HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO CONTROLLER.  Audio is back.

I then restarted my laptop but then the issue came back, no audio output and HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO CONTROLLER is no longer found in my SYSTEM DEVICES.

I repeated all the steps mentioned above, and then i RIGHT CLICKED HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO CONTROLLER then chose DISABLE DEVICE.  I then restarted my computer, i then noticed that there was again a red "X" mark on the speaker icon on the bottom right. I opened DEVICE MANAGER > SYSTEM DEVICES, but this time HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO CONTROLLER is still there. i RIGHT CLICKED then ENABLE DEVICE, audio is back. I restarted my laptop again, and this time audio still working fine. Tried to restart a couple of times just to make sure, happy to say I still have audio.

Hope this helps in someway.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.