Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Laptop 15-ce0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I encountered this problem just this morning. As far as I can remember, I didn't install any update last night, so it was a shock when I discovered this morning that I could no longer hear any sound from my laptop. 

I tried several tips, but apparently the didn't help:

1) https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/No-Audio-Output-Device-is-Installed/m-p/6299635

2) https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/easy-to-fix-error-no-audio-output-device-is-installed/

also my laptop is fairly new, less than a week old, so i don't mind restoring it to factory default if this fixes my current issue. thanks!Capture 1.JPGCapture2.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Glad to see you got it working  @brothaLoui

For what its worth, I recieved an official reply from HP today  on the matter....

While performing a Windows update, if you encounter issues with the audio, please uninstall the driver and manually install the latest version. The following document should be able to help.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06166393

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
HP Recommended

IDEM FOR ME . IHAVE THE SAME PROBLEM

HP Recommended

Hello again @brothaLoui

Ive encountered this also with two different systems and I suspect a Windows update may be the culprit.

Are you able to connect a pair of headphones or ear buds and get sound?

If so, the sound card is working, its just the settings that need to be changed.

On one computer, I was able to get it to work by using the troubleshooting fix you mentioned.

The default speakers were not chosen.

Highlight the Speaker/Headphone in the list and click troubleshoot again.

sound troubleshoot.JPG

In another setup, I could not get it to reset. Finally I had to do a complete system recovery back to factory.

If its new, you might have to do that as well. Connect some headphones and see if it works first.

HP Recommended

if I put on the headphones they work, but if I unplug them and make them brown on the back of the audio I can not make it

HP Recommended

Lele, try the steps I posted above before commenting.

HP Recommended

hello again!

I connected a wired earphone to the jack but no sound output. I then paired a bluetooth earphone, it worked fine.Capture.JPG

HP Recommended

@brothaLoui

That is strange. I does indicate that your sound card is working though. ITs just not configured properly. If I can find I fix, I will let you know, unless you decide to do a factory recovery.

HP Recommended

Take a look at this post, he claims he fixed it. It might be worth trying...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/Realtek-Audio-doesn-t-work-with-an-1809-update/m-p/6858...

HP Recommended

Went through the post, but apparently I dont have the SST-device he's mentioning.Capture.JPGCapture2.JPG

I also noticed that the dropdown menu for the  "sound, video and game controllers" is missing the "realtek"and "Nvidia" option.

I tried adding hardware ( I followed the steps mentioned in the troubleshooting tips i mentioned above) and this is what I get:

Capture4.JPG

notice that "Nvidia" is missing. And when i choose to add "realtek" 

Capture5.JPG

HP Recommended

*continuation*

and when i choose that model, i proceeds to installation but ends up with the "blue screen" with error message of

stop code: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

what failed: RTKVD64.sys

and when it reaches 100%, it doesn't restart on its own. waited for several minutes, then i have to force shut down my laptop (pressing the power button for a few seconds). One time after doing this, the system cannot boot up properly and it needed to restore at some point in the past. actually i thought it would fix the problem(audio issue), but it is still there and i lost a couple of programs.

I do apologise, I am not really well-versed with computers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.