Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Gaming Pavlion 15-dk0042tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

so i just bought this laptop and just wanted to know if i coul add 4gb of ram since this laptop has 1 empty slot. but when i went to the internet it says that i can't combine 4gb with 8gb of ram since this laptop came with a 8gb of ram. does anybody know if my laptop could support 12gb of ram?? (Pavilion Gaming 15-dk0042tx)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06377664

The memory upgrade info can be found in chapter 1.

12 GB will work, but here is why you don't want add just 4 GB.

When memory is installed in mismatched capacities, it runs in the slower performing single data rate (SDR) mode.

Memory that runs in matched capacities runs in the better performing dual data rate (DDR) mode.

So hold off on upgrading until you can afford another 8 GB module to install.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06377664

The memory upgrade info can be found in chapter 1.

12 GB will work, but here is why you don't want add just 4 GB.

When memory is installed in mismatched capacities, it runs in the slower performing single data rate (SDR) mode.

Memory that runs in matched capacities runs in the better performing dual data rate (DDR) mode.

So hold off on upgrading until you can afford another 8 GB module to install.

HP Recommended

soo correct me if i'm wrong (cuz i'm new to this) but basically what you're saying is that if i decided to upgrade my ram to 12gb it'll run slower than my current 8gb even though the 4gb and the 8gb are both ddr4 and have the same 2666 MHz fequency (both samsung btw if that makes any difference)?? anywayyy, thank you for all the tips

HP Recommended

In your specific situation, because the one memory slot is empty, the PC is already running in SDR mode, since you have an 8 GB memory module in slot 1 and 0 GB of memory in slot 2.

So, if you have a 4 GB memory module lying around and you want to install it, the PC should run better with 12 GB of memory running in SDR mode vice 8 GB of memory running in SDR mode.

If you have to buy the 4 GB memory module, then in my humble opinion, you would be throwing good money after bad, when you can spend a little more, get an 8 GB module, have 16 GB of memory running in DDR mode.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.